• US Flag waving in the background behind three Meguiar's spray products.  Meguiar's logo 4th of July Independence Day Sale.  15% Off Sitewide plus Free Shipping Over $99.  Shop Now, Use Code JULY4.  Expires 7/7/24, Valid Online Only, Excludes Discounted Kits.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have experience using glazes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have experience using glazes?

I will be detailing an '82 benz (single stage paint) for a friend by hand, and the paint looks all cloudy, and it looks like it needs those nourishing oils that are in glazes. I plan to apply M80 speed glaze, then put M26 high-tech yellow wax on top. My question to all you detailers who use glazes is: Will the M26 protect the finish with the glaze underneath it, and will the finish last, or will the glaze come right off after my friend gets in the rain, or then next time he washes his car? I have heard that most pro detailers do not use glaze because it just hides the defects, and they would rather correct the paint instead of hiding the defects. I also am not trying to hide anything, but the paint looks like it really needs those oils. What do you think? Will all my hard work be washed off the car the first time it gets washed again? I hope not...that would be bad...

And how long do you think the wax will last on the vehicle?

Re: Anyone have experience using glazes?

Yes the glaze(I assume you mean pure polish) will last under a coat of wax. How long the wax lasts depends on many factors, but generally for M26, which is carnauba, probably 6-8 weeks. As far as the cloudiness in the paint, you may want to post pics, so we could better see exactly what it is. Cloudiness could just be neglected paint, like oxidation.
    There's no reason to become alarmed, and we hope you'll enjoy the rest of your flight. By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?

Comment

Here's a pic of the trunk lid...you can really see the cloudiness. It probably is oxidation.

Comment

Another question I just thought of...would M16 paste wax (in the blue tin) be more durable over the M80 speed glaze than the #26 wax would?

Comment

Many questions, and the answers depend on what you want to achieve.

0) wash (obviously) to remove dirt and grime

1) Consider starting with a nice light clay preparation (buy the consumer kit with clay+lubricant). Use LOTS of lubricant and no real pressure, the clay should just glide over the paint and not stick to it. It wont feel like it is doing anything but will drastically smooth the paint and also prepare it for cleaning.

2) Then probably some light paintCleaning is a good first step, and SwirlX is probably a good place to start. This assumes you have no significant defects (scratches etc) that need to be removed (other than the "cloudiness"). Note that SwirlX has some glaze/oils in it, but you can certaily choose to follow with a pure glaze (as many of us do).

3) Assuming you are then happy with the paint preparation, apply the glaze (DC2 or #07 are good candidates available from most stores). This actually does 4 things:
          a) the oils nuture the paint to help extend its life and well-being
          b) the oils fill in the paints micro-pores which is what enhances its wet-look depth
          c) the Meguiars oils actually help Meguiars waxs to bond better to the paint
          d) the oils also slightly "fill-in" and temporarily hide any remaining minor swirls and blemishes
          NOTE: glaze/oils have zero durability/protection, they need to be covered

4) Apply your choice of wax(s), 2 thin coats.

If the above is too-much work (as it is for many folks), ColorX is a very good All-In-One product with some mild but reasonable cleaner, plus some glaze/oils, plus wax.
          2010 XRS

Comment

Continued ...

Many folks believe that M16 is the most durable of the Meguiars Carnuba waxes. Meguiars says that of all their waxes that NXT2 (or #21) sealant offers the most protection.

SpeedGlaze is like a professional version of SwirlX, it is a paintCleaner and has polish in it, so it also combines the clean+glaze steps into one (same as SwirlX). You *could* follow with a stand-alone glaze step, but that is probably wasteful (wont hurt, just unlikely to provide additional help).

I think that covers all your question?
            2010 XRS

Comment

Originally posted by searle View Post
              Continued ...

Many folks believe that M16 is the most durable of the Meguiars Carnuba waxes. Meguiars says that of all their waxes that NXT2 (or #21) sealant offers the most protection.

SpeedGlaze is like a professional version of SwirlX, it is a paintCleaner and has polish in it, so it also combines the clean+glaze steps into one (same as SwirlX). You *could* follow with a stand-alone glaze step, but that is probably wasteful (wont hurt, just unlikely to provide additional help).

I think that covers all your question?
              Thanks for the info. I appreciate learning more about glazes. I do intend to use the speed glaze, then M16 for more durability. But the main question I have is, will all of the gloss that the glaze imparts to the paint be washed off when my friend washes his car next? I have heard that this can happen, but I'm hoping it will not. I was hoping that the M16 would seal up the surface and not cause the gloss imparted by the glaze to be washed off. Any thoughts?

Comment

Being that #80 is a cleaner/polish it should remove the oxidation and defects, not hide them. It is rich in polishing oils too. Applying the #26 on top would seal in the oils so they will not wash away. #80 is rated a 4 on the cut scale so it will remove defects with the right technique...not just mask them like some PURE polishes will do.
                Black......the ONLY color!

Comment

Originally posted by Spike View Post
                  Thanks for the info. I appreciate learning more about glazes. I do intend to use the speed glaze, then M16 for more durability. But the main question I have is, will all of the gloss that the glaze imparts to the paint be washed off when my friend washes his car next? I have heard that this can happen, but I'm hoping it will not. I was hoping that the M16 would seal up the surface and not cause the gloss imparted by the glaze to be washed off. Any thoughts?
                  Yes, you are mostly correct. Glaze by itself washes of with any wash or rain. But, when sealed by a good wax or sealant (M16 or NXT2) it is "underneath" the wax and remains. you can wash the car and the glaze will still be under the wax. initially...

If you re-wax fairly often, say every 1-2 months, there should always be wax protecting the glaze. Especially if you UQW to top-up the wax after your weekly wash. If you let things go to where the wax is mostly gone, then so is the glaze, and it is time to paintclean away any remaining wax and re-apply the glaze then wax.

Most folks re-detail their car (wash +clay +cleaner +glaze +wax) every spring, and most also re-detail every fall.

Does all that make sense?
                  2010 XRS

Comment

Before even thinking about applying a glaze (pure polish), you need to first clay the paint and then polish the paint surface and remove the oxidation. As Searle has suggested, SwirlX would be a good paint cleaner with which to begin. I assume you are working by hand, yes? If yes, SwirlX would be a better and more effective product for you than M80.

Do a TEST SPOT and see what difference the SwirlX has made. If it's looking good, then polish out the rest of the car, section by section. Be sure to wipe off the polish immediately. If the Test Spot does not reveal significant improvement, either go over the area again with SwirlX or step up to Ultimate Compound. Do not polish the rest of the car until you are satisfied with the results of the Test Spot.

After you have polished the car, then you want to apply the glaze. Meguiar's pure polishes (glazes) include: Deep Crystal Polish, M07, and M05. Take your pick. You can usually find DCP and #7 at the local auto store. Follow the directions. Work section by section. Remove the glaze immediately. Do not allow it to dry on the paint.

After you have finished glazing the paint, apply two coats of your favorite wax/sealant. M26 would be fine.

Have fun!

Cheers,
                    Al
                    Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
                    --Al Kimel

Comment

Just make sure you thoroughly work M80 into the paint. It contains diminishing abrasive to cut through scratches, swirls, and oxidation, and at the same time has the same TS oils as the M07/M03 glazes.

The gloss you get is all in the prep work. Making sure you thoroughly clay and polish with M80. I am one who believes that glazes give no visual difference on a perfectly prepped panel and that waxing over a glaze does not necessarily "lock" it in. When you remove the oxidation with M80 the wax will help to slowdown the degradation/oxidation of the paint by adding an additional UV barrier.
                      Alan T.

Comment

Thanks everyone! I hope to try a test spot soon to see how the M80 does. I have tried Megs UC and other swirl/oxidation removers before, but those products don't seem to work because they don't have the nourishing oils in them. Its like I'll polish a panel, and it looks good wet, but when it dries the polish just gets sucked back into the paint, and I still have the cloudy paint underneath it. I got some great advice from Mike Phillips on another forum (AG), and I have a plan of attack for the car. But the one thing that we did not discuss was something that was just recently brought up by another post on AG, and that was the fact that the glaze would probably wash off the car at the next car wash. I just want to be sure that I can use M26 or M16 to seal in the glaze so it won't wash off like I've heard can happen...

Comment

If you are working by hand then I would use ColorX or M06 Cleaner Wax, either of these two products will work well by hand to remove the oxidation and will be easier to use by hand than M80 Speed Glaze.
                          Nick
                          Tucker's Detailing Services
                          815-954-0773
                          2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Originally posted by Spike View Post
                            Thanks everyone! I hope to try a test spot soon to see how the M80 does. I have tried Megs UC and other swirl/oxidation removers before, but those products don't seem to work because they don't have the nourishing oils in them. Its like I'll polish a panel, and it looks good wet, but when it dries the polish just gets sucked back into the paint, and I still have the cloudy paint underneath it. I got some great advice from Mike Phillips on another forum (AG), and I have a plan of attack for the car. But the one thing that we did not discuss was something that was just recently brought up by another post on AG, and that was the fact that the glaze would probably wash off the car at the next car wash. I just want to be sure that I can use M26 or M16 to seal in the glaze so it won't wash off like I've heard can happen...

Not sure your using Ultimate Compound correctly. Are you just wiping it on and then wiping it off? It should be tackling the oxidation without a problem since it is way more aggressive than M80 Speed Glaze.

I have worked on a few SS paint jobs and used Ultimate Compound to remove the oxidaton and followed up with M80 Speed Glaze, then I sealed the paint with M20.
                            Nick
                            Tucker's Detailing Services
                            815-954-0773
                            2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Originally posted by Tuck91 View Post
                              Not sure your using Ultimate Compound correctly. Are you just wiping it on and then wiping it off? It should be tackling the oxidation without a problem since it is way more aggressive than M80 Speed Glaze.

I have worked on a few SS paint jobs and used Ultimate Compound to remove the oxidaton and followed up with M80 Speed Glaze, then I sealed the paint with M20.
                              I may not have been using it correctly, but when I was trying it by hand it just didn't seem to make that much of a difference in the finish. I'll probably need to use my flex on the car, but I'm still a newbie, and I want to practice on my own car 1st, then do a friends car. I guess I'm just trying to find a way to make the car look better without machine polishing it so I don't burn the paint...

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');