• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

suprime microfiber scratching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• suprime microfiber scratching

I did a test with CD and 2 out of 4 suprime shine microfibers is scrathing the cd used to test, scratching it real bad,how is that? I've been washing them all in the same machine with the same products.

Re: suprime microfiber scratching

I would think the plastic CD is MUCH softer than clearcoat, so I don't think the towels would scratch your paint.
    There's no reason to become alarmed, and we hope you'll enjoy the rest of your flight. By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?

Comment

Originally posted by kimchiyuk View Post
      I would think the plastic CD is MUCH softer than clearcoat, so I don't think the towels would scratch your paint.
      Point! There are microfibers that are much softer intended for uses other than automotive, such as polishing guitars or woodwind instruments. Supreme Shines will work well on your clearcoat automotive paint.

Comment

yes but this two don' t even slide on the paint as the other two, it is weird

Comment

The CD's scratched prolly cause you pressed a little bit too hard. If your towel doesn't easily glide along your vehicles finish, then it is time to clean it.

Comment

Originally posted by Fly Bye View Post

The CD's scratched prolly cause you pressed a little bit too hard. If your towel doesn't easily glide along your vehicles finish, then it is time to clean it.

I had it cleaned, I did left it for an hour in hot water before putting it in the machine again, let' s see if it gets any better.

Comment

Sorry, I meant the paint needs to be cleaned.

Comment

Originally posted by Fly Bye View Post

Sorry, I meant the paint needs to be cleaned.

But out of 4 suprime shine and others 5 (another brand) mf towels, this two are the only ones like this,

Comment

When I did the scratch test on a CD, all the microfibers I had on hand, including the Supreme Shine, scratched the CD if you rubbed them multiple times (maybe 6 or 7) along the radius of the CD. In fact, none of them scratched either better or worse than the others. I haven't tried this with a 100% cotton terry towel but I should do that test too. If it scratched the CD it wouldn't surprise me.

I could be wrong, but I think this is something intrinsic in the nature of microfibers. They contain usually 80% polyester, which is for cleaning, and 20% polyamide, which is for absorption. They do both of these well, but there may be a slight abrasive nature to the fibers to accomplish their role of cleaning. Perhaps the 30% polyamide microfibers would scratch less.

The CD undoubtedly is softer than the clearcoat on cars.

Personally, nonetheless, I just have a certain amount of respect for how I use a microfiber on the paint. For example, I use the foam pads and not the microfiber pads for applying products by hand. And whatever else I do with a microfiber on the paint, I just try not to really rub it in or overdo it. I had considered using a random orbital with a microfiber bonnet to remove wax, but it turned out to be so easy to remove by hand, that is how I chose to do it. Maybe I am being more cautious than I need to, but I figure being careful can't hurt.

I can't answer your question about why some of your towels scratch worse than the others, but my guess is if you were to rub the CD enough times all your towels would scratch a CD.

Comment

Testing Micro fibre

A couple of ‘non-scientific test’ you could use to assimilate wither or not a towel will cause scratches, they are not at all scientific nor 100% accurate, they are only indicative of what the towel may do to your paint surface, but then which is preferable to scratch a CD or your paint surface? Ensure the towels have been washed before carrying out these ‘tests’. If the towel does scratch the CD’s surface that doesn’t necessarily mean that it will scratch the vehicles paint, a CD has a much softer surface than automobile paint so use caution, initially trying an inconspicuous area

CD Scratch Test

Take a damp micro fibre cloth and use medium to heavy pressure rub the data surface of a CD. If no scratching is evident then it probably won’t scratch the vehicles paint surface, be aware that the bindings can also cause scratching. Ensure you wash before you use a micro fibre towel for the first time and use it on an inconspicuous area first.
                    ~ Providing unbiased advice that Professional and Enthusiast Detailer’s Trust ~ Blog – http://togwt1980.blogspot.com

Comment

Have you used these towels outside on your car before?

I have found that sometimes even after washing a towel that fell on the ground while I was detailing will have debris stuck to the towel. Those usually get the debris picked off them and are then retired from car detailing to general house work.

Comment

Originally posted by William_F View Post
                        Have you used these towels outside on your car before?

I have found that sometimes even after washing a towel that fell on the ground while I was detailing will have debris stuck to the towel. Those usually get the debris picked off them and are then retired from car detailing to general house work.
                        No, but the last thing I did with it was to wipe off paint cleaner, but that is no bad at all, i guess

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');