• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UQW vs. Vinyl protectors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UQW vs. Vinyl protectors

As promised in another thread here is a test of UQW and 8 Meguiar's dedicated vinyl protectors. The images show some differences among the products but they fail to accurately show the subtle shades.

The three best products were in order of my preference.

Based on longevity
    UQW
    Supreme Shine

Based on appearance
    Supreme Shine
    UQW

I strongly am leaning towards UQW for use on this vinyl as it is much more resistant to water and lasts weeks longer than the others.

On to the test;

First a thorough cleaning with #39

Then onto the test:

The product applied.

Jim
    My Gallery

Re: UQW vs. Vinyl protectors

What was the method of application?

Comment

I have not tried UQW on trim yet, looks good though.

I never heard of or seen the Intensive Protectant, how old is it and how do you like it?
      Nick
      Tucker's Detailing Services
      815-954-0773
      2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Application was via clean microfiber towels. I let the product dwell for a couple minutes then buffed gently with another clean MF.

Intensive Protectant is a couple years old but I tossed it in as I used to like it a lot and still have a couple bottles.
        Jim
        My Gallery

Comment

Great Write Up, but I don't think I could afford to use UQW as a dressing/protectant.
          Matt

Comment

Originally posted by Megafast13 View Post
            Great Write Up, but I don't think I could afford to use UQW as a dressing/protectant.
            Not really when you consider it lasts much longer as the other products in the test. It then becomes one of the least expensive of the protectants, IMHO.
            Jim
            My Gallery

Comment

how can i tell where u applied what product, you didnt tape off the sections

Comment

Great test. How much longer lasting was the UQW then the others. Taking in the duration will be different for all. Due to exposure to the elements. Garaged or not etc.
                quality creates its own demand

Comment

Originally posted by 79elcamino View Post
                  how can i tell where u applied what product, you didnt tape off the sections
                  I applied the product to the area directly in front of the product. I initially tried to tape it but due to the uneven surface and raised letters the tape didn't stick well. I was careful to define the borders in straight lines.

I found that the UQW seemed to last about twice as long as the other products. This is not to say that the other products had lost their protective ability, I can't measure that, just that they started to look spent while UQW retained it's sheen.

Since I like using UQW as a maintenance product, I now just hit the vinyl trim along with the paint.

I use the vinyl products on the interior vinyl and at that rate of consumption I probably have enough to last a few years. LOL
                  Jim
                  My Gallery

Comment

Do you think you could dress the trim with Supreme Shine and then, I guess for lack of better words, seal it with UQW? Just throwing it out there to see what you guys think. It seems like, in theory, it should work but something tells me it wouldn't.
                    Tedrow's Detailing
                    845-642-1698
                    Treat Yourself to that New Car Feeling

Comment

Thanks for the write up Jim.

I too have been using UQW on exterior trim for a while now. It's easy to just do the trim at the same time as the paint too...
                      Originally posted by Blueline
                      I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Originally posted by coopers23 View Post
                        Do you think you could dress the trim with Supreme Shine and then, I guess for lack of better words, seal it with UQW? Just throwing it out there to see what you guys think. It seems like, in theory, it should work but something tells me it wouldn't.
                        i would also like to know the answer to that as well because i was thinking about doing the same thing except i was gonna use back to black and then UQW. would that work or would it be better to use supreme shine?

Comment

I think one of you will need to try this out and report back on how or if it works.
                          Jim
                          My Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by jfelbab View Post
                            Since I like using UQW as a maintenance product, I now just hit the vinyl trim along with the paint.
                            Are you saying the UQW is maintaining the vinyl... as in conditioning it?

Comment

I will give this "sealing the trim" process this week at some time and post some pictures and comments.
                              Tedrow's Detailing
                              845-642-1698
                              Treat Yourself to that New Car Feeling

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');