• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scratches from bike rack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scratches from bike rack

I really knew better but I let myself buy a trunk mounted bike rack for my new Jetta, which is reflex silver metallic color. Cleaned every speck of dust off the waxed trunk with microfiber, took the rack out of sealed bag & cleaned the pads, then fit it to the car without bike. Took it off, and to no suprise there are scratches where the pads were. They are small and in the clear coat only, but the marks are the size of the pads and very dull looking. Wax does not help.

What Mequiar product would be best to use to polish out the marks, and what is the best application method ?

Thanks, FDH

Re: Scratches from bike rack

You could use scratch x or Ultimate Compound. I am assuming you are working by hand?

By the way, seeing as this is your first post on MOL, welcome to the forum!

Andy M
    MOL Moderator
    Keeping MOL family friendly! If you need help or have a question, don't hesitate to shoot me an email or PM. 101impala@gmail.com
    Andy M. Moderator

Comment

Thanks for your reply, and yes I will do this by hand. Which of those products is the least abrasive, and will it likely be necessary to do the entire trunk?

Comment

Scratch x would be the least abrasive. You won't necessarily have to do the whole trunk. Try a small test spot first and go from there. You may want to clay the area so you are sure it is absolutely free of any wax and dirt or surface contaminents.

Andy
        Keeping MOL family friendly! If you need help or have a question, don't hesitate to shoot me an email or PM. 101impala@gmail.com
        Andy M. Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by Andy M. View Post
          Scratch x would be the least abrasive. You won't necessarily have to do the whole trunk. Try a small test spot first and go from there. You may want to clay the area so you are sure it is absolutely free of any wax and dirt or surface contaminents.

Andy
          Andy, claying doest remove wax , just surface contaminants. Also ScratchX is not the least abrasive product according to Mike Phillips (this is the order of the abrasiveness of products) But i do agree that ScratchX 2.0 will probably remove those little deffects.

Thanks.
          Ryan's Auto Detailing, S.A
          Mobile Auto Detailing Company.
          Dominican Republic.

Passion for Detailing, do it with love.

Comment

Kind of subjective, Ryan.

Does Claying Really Remove Wax?

For the record the thread you referred to quoting Mike the order of aggressiveness is

That would be from most to least aggressive,
            • M105 Ultra Cut Compound
            • Ultimate Compound
            • ScratchX 2.0
            • SwirlX
            • M83 Dual Action Cleaner Polish
            • M205 Ultra Finishing Polish - M80 Speed Glaze (Different types of abrasives but close in cut ability)
            • ScratchX (Current Version being discontinued)
            My original answer to the OP was scratch x or ultimate compound, of the 2 do you not agree that Scratch x is not the less abrasive of the 2?

Andy M.
            Andy M. Moderator

Comment

..and trade off the trunk mounted bike rack. Anything that rests on paint will mar it...anything. Several hitch companies make 1 1/4 receiver hitches that will allow for a rear mounted bike rack. By the way, a roof mount can dent the roof.

Tom

Comment

Ordered a hidden hitch & rack Monday, gave the trunk rack to the wife's Toy.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy M. View Post
                  Kind of subjective, Ryan.

Does Claying Really Remove Wax?

For the record the thread you referred to quoting Mike the order of aggressiveness is

My original answer to the OP was scratch x or ultimate compound, of the 2 do you not agree that Scratch x is not the less abrasive of the 2?

Andy M.
                  My bad for disrespecting your opinion... and yes your answer was indeed the right one. ScratchX is least abrasive than ScratchX 2.0 Im sorry man.

Is that i tought that since ScratchX is discontinued i thought you refered to 2.0...

Thanks..
                  Ryan's Auto Detailing, S.A
                  Mobile Auto Detailing Company.
                  Dominican Republic.

Passion for Detailing, do it with love.

Comment

No offense taken. Everything is really subjective. What looks good to you may not look good to me and vice versa. Techniques, processes and opinions vary. Thats why we are here. We help each other along the way. We are here for one thing.........To take care of our vehicles while learning from some very good pro detailers and weekenders alike.

After all it's just all about being "CAR CRAZY"!!!

Andy
                    Andy M. Moderator

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');