• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Do I Restore Metal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Do I Restore Metal?

How would I bring the shine back to parts of my engine that look similar to this:

What products and steps would I use to fix this?
    I was thinking about using a brillo pad to scrape off the corrosion and rust, but that would cause scratches that I don't know how to get out.

Re: How Do I Restore Metal?

This would require quite a bit of work even if the rust is removed. I would recommend starting with Megs Hot Rims Mag and Aluminum Polish. I do not have much experience with restoring badly corroded metal so this would be the extent of my work on such an issue.
    Tedrow's Detailing
    845-642-1698
    Treat Yourself to that New Car Feeling

Comment

I would honestly say you'll have to wet sand that and follow up with a metal polish to restore a shine to that. I'm assuming that's not plated and is just raw metal, correct?

Comment

I started off washing it out and its not as bad as I thought. There still is some stubborn dirt stuck in places and rust specks so is there anyway to fix this up? I'd also like all the metal to really shine as best it can. This isn't chrome and the type of metal the intake manifold is made out of limits how shiny that part can be, but I want it to look the best that I can make it. Any ideas to making this engine bay shine?

Comment

My plan would be to try Barkeeper's friend to get rid of all the rust and gunk, but I'm not sure if its strong enough. After cleaning, I really want to follow it up with a dressing, so would supreme shine protectant be a good choice for this? I just hope the chemicals in it won't start a fire or something with that hot engine.

Comment

Bare (uncoated) aluminium, remove any grease with a d-limonene (citrus) based cleaner P21S Total Auto Wash. Use Mothers Mag and Aluminium Polish (using a metal polish will turn the cloth black) and Mother’s Powerball and then wash with P21S Polishing Soap

Mushroom Buffing Ball

The Caswell 4" and 3" fluffy mushroom balls are made with hundreds of layers of soft cotton material. The layers are compacted into a truly unique polishing tool. They spin into a half moon shaped, whizzing ball that provides protection on all sides.
            They will not scratch or harm paint, or any aluminium surface. Dip them into any metal polish, compound, paint polish, or even a degreaser.
            ~ Providing unbiased advice that Professional and Enthusiast Detailer’s Trust ~ Blog – http://togwt1980.blogspot.com

Comment

Cast Aluminium

Some polishes are advertised an aluminium polish. This is misleading as you cannot produce a high shine on cast aluminium or magnesium. Clean surface with a d-limonene (citrus) based cleaner P21S Total auto Wash and remove oxidization before polish it. Start dry sanding with 120 and then 220 and then use 320 wet-sanding, for the best job finish off with 500-600 wet, then a fine grade emery cloth.
              ~ Providing unbiased advice that Professional and Enthusiast Detailer’s Trust ~ Blog – http://togwt1980.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by TOGWT View Post
                Bare (uncoated) aluminium, remove any grease with a d-limonene (citrus) based cleaner P21S Total Auto Wash. Use Mothers Mag and Aluminium Polish (using a metal polish will turn the cloth black) and Mother’s Powerball and then wash with P21S Polishing Soap

Mushroom Buffing Ball

The Caswell 4" and 3" fluffy mushroom balls are made with hundreds of layers of soft cotton material. The layers are compacted into a truly unique polishing tool. They spin into a half moon shaped, whizzing ball that provides protection on all sides.
                They will not scratch or harm paint, or any aluminium surface. Dip them into any metal polish, compound, paint polish, or even a degreaser.
                What about Mother's Billet Polish? Is that better than Mag and Aluminum?

Comment

Cast Aluminium

Some polishes are advertised an aluminium polish. This is misleading as you cannot produce a high shine on cast aluminium or magnesium. Clean surface with a d-limonene (citrus) based cleaner P21S Total auto Wash and remove oxidization before polish it. Start dry sanding with 120 and then 220 and then use 320 wet-sanding, for the best job finish off with 500-600 wet, then a fine grade emery cloth.
                  You can polish cast aluminium. I have done it before. I sanded down all the casting pits and progressively went finer and finer. Use 3m superduty/wool and it came out with a mirror chrome like finish. Though it is a lot of work, it is possible.
                  Alan T.

Comment

My point was you can't use a polish to shine cast aluminum, but you can by using sandpaper

Comment

My point was you can't use a polish to shine cast aluminum, but you can by using sandpaper
                      Could you check my plan so far using what everyone told me:

1) Clean it up using Barkeeper's friend

2) Sand the cast aluminum on the intake manifold

-for this could I use this kit?>http://www.tcpglobal.com/3m/3mheadlight.aspx

It has 500, 800, and 3000 grade, but is 500 abrasive enough?

If not, is there a mixed pack of sandpaper I could buy so I don't have to get so many individual packets of sandpaper and buy more than I need.

3) Polish the cast aluminum with a wool pad and use 3M Super Duty Compound (is there an alternative for this compound?)

4) Follow it up with Mother's Mag and Aluminum polish

5) Polish the rest of the metal in the engine with Mother's Mag

Finally, is it ok to use Meguiar's Supreme Shine on the engine itself? I'd like to apply it to the black part of the engine.

Comment

Sounds like a plan, let us know how it turns out

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');