• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What have I done, and how can I fix it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What have I done, and how can I fix it?

I had a similar problem using a micro-fiber applicator and UC. I switched to a foam applicator and was easily able to remove the hazing. So don't worry. You'll be able to correct the problem easily.

The BIG problem is the unavailability of foam applicators at local retail stores. It's a real problem that one has to buy them online and pay shipping charges. This is why I almost always add on applicators to any online purchase I make. I must have a couple of dozen unused applicators now just sitting around, but it's better to have too many than too few.
    Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
    --Al Kimel

Comment

Well I am thrilled to report that, along with my car's shine, my faith in Meguiar's has been restored. All this talk of "abrasive" made me afraid of using it for too long on my car. I think the main problem was that I only worked it in for 15-20 seconds, wiping the ample residue off before it had time to "diminish" and continue working.

I found a foam applicator, basically a sponge, at Autozone that did the trick. I will say, perhaps Meguiar's shouldn't mention that you can use "terry cloth" on the bottle if the consensus seems to be that it's not a good way to go. But then again, maybe it's better for more aggressive cases.

Anyway, not only are the spots gone (at least at this point), but the appearance of the scratches is greatly reduced as well!

While I was down there I saw a lot of stuff in my paint and I think I may actually try claybar. I'm also de-rusting a couple of rock chips right now and will be applying langka tomorrow, so I'm not going to wax yet. Is it ok to wash my car now? (used ScratchX a few minutes ago)

Comment

Couldn't he also try following up the ScratchX 2.0 with SwirlX?

Definitely use the foam pad though.

I agree with everyone else, don't stress out, this is an easy fix.

Comment

Yes, you can wash, ScratchX doesnt leave anything behind that would be removed.

And yes, following up with a milder product was also an option.

And yes, in some cases it is easier to deal with bad defects with terry, then follow up with foam, as opposed to applying with foam over and over.
          2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by theliman View Post
            Well I am thrilled to report that, along with my car's shine, my faith in Meguiar's has been restored. All this talk of "abrasive" made me afraid of using it for too long on my car. I think the main problem was that I only worked it in for 15-20 seconds, wiping the ample residue off before it had time to "diminish" and continue working.

I found a foam applicator, basically a sponge, at Autozone that did the trick. I will say, perhaps Meguiar's shouldn't mention that you can use "terry cloth" on the bottle if the consensus seems to be that it's not a good way to go. But then again, maybe it's better for more aggressive cases.

Anyway, not only are the spots gone (at least at this point), but the appearance of the scratches is greatly reduced as well!

While I was down there I saw a lot of stuff in my paint and I think I may actually try claybar. I'm also de-rusting a couple of rock chips right now and will be applying langka tomorrow, so I'm not going to wax yet. Is it ok to wash my car now? (used ScratchX a few minutes ago)
            I take it back, after washing around the areas I used the product, it looks even worse now. Totally visible in the sun. I might just take it to the shop and give up on trying to fix it myself - don't want to keep making it worse.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Stoops View Post
              The situation you're seeing here is something that our call center deals with almost every day - hazing of the paint when using ScratchX 2.0 with a terry cloth applicator.
              Here I go again about the labels, (ducks!)

Maybe next time take terry cloth off the instructions? Include a foam pad with ScratchX? I have never seen foam pads for sale in my local area, from any brand. I bought a whole box of them from ADS.

Comment

ok, when you mentioned a foam applicator and then sponge, what exactly are you talking about here. What you need is an actual foam applicator, dont try using a sponge as an applicator as the foam may be very different and cause even more problems with which your seeing now.

These are exactly what you need, dont buy a "sponge" and use it because its foam.

Zach Hall

2001.5 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel - DD/Tow rig
                1983 Chevy C10 - Race/Show rig
                1939 Dodge D11 Luxury Liner Deluxe - Antique resto. project

Comment

good to know. the thing at autozone was called a "foam applicator" and is clearly designed for a hand to be holding it, with a dark, flat "bottom," but i guess it is wrong. -sigh-

Originally posted by CumminsCrazed View Post
                  ok, when you mentioned a foam applicator and then sponge, what exactly are you talking about here. What you need is an actual foam applicator, dont try using a sponge as an applicator as the foam may be very different and cause even more problems with which your seeing now.

These are exactly what you need, dont buy a "sponge" and use it because its foam.

Comment

What exactly was the applicator you used, can look it up and link us? Are you ensuring the vehicle and everything you use that touches the paint is 100% clean?
                    Zach Hall

2001.5 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel - DD/Tow rig
                    1983 Chevy C10 - Race/Show rig
                    1939 Dodge D11 Luxury Liner Deluxe - Antique resto. project

Comment

Are you ensuring the vehicle and everything you use that touches the paint is 100% clean?
                      This is what I originally suspected.
                      Originally posted by Blueline
                      I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

This wasn't it was it? I looked on their site and this sounds like the color you're describing but it's not an applicator.

This was on their site too.

I'm wondering if you may be applying too much pressure. Try letting the product do the work and gradually apply more pressure if needed. You may get the result you are looking for by just using light pressure depending on how soft your paint is.

Don't give up just yet. The people on this site will steer you in the right direction.

Comment

What exactly was the applicator you used, can look it up and link us? Are you ensuring the vehicle and everything you use that touches the paint is 100% clean?
                          Sure thing. Applicator was clean, as it was brand new. I talked to Meguiar's again and the guy told me to try it four more times, using very little pressure, because maybe my paint is particularly soft. It got too dark by the end for me to tell if it has improved. However, I just purchased some Meguiar's Clean Wax, or something like that, solely because it came with a foam applicator like someone posted. (though I would argue it feels a lot similar to what I'm using) If things look bad again tomorrow, I will try with the Meguiar's foam pad.

Hope this link works..

Comment

Update...

Worked on it for about 8 hours today. Used a Meguiar's foam applicator, a little more pressure, and at least two minutes for each section. The main difference was that I worked in VERY small sections. Usually like a 2x2 inch area. The haze has actually spread in surface area, because if I were working towards the outside, I feel like only the center of where I was working was fixed, while the edges left a haze. So it is less pronounced, in a bigger area.

I think it looks better, though the picture is deceiving because the car is not directly in the sun. I think at this point I may let it be for now. It's just frustrating because I'm still in the "honeymoon phase" with this car, and it's black. But really, I think it's only noticeable from a few angles, and no one besides me would notice it unless it were at the right angle under the sun.

However, since I plan on keeping this car until she dies - would polish finish the job? I would probably take it to a detailer or something to have that done so I don't screw up again, but I'm just wondering if polish might be the thing to finish this (unless I want to spend many more hours). Also, would SwirlX do anything? Seems that anything Swirlx would do, ScratchX would do at a greater level so it wouldn't be any help to me here..

Comment

I think SwirlX would be a good option as it is less aggressive than ScratchX and it seems like you might have soft paint. It could just do the trick in removing any remaining haze.

Are you washing the car, or at least the affected panel PRIOR to working with ScratchX?
                              Originally posted by Blueline
                              I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Originally posted by davey g-force View Post
                                I think SwirlX would be a good option as it is less aggressive than ScratchX and it seems like you might have soft paint. It could just do the trick in removing any remaining haze.

Are you washing the car, or at least the affected panel PRIOR to working with ScratchX?
                                Yes, many many times during the process, because pollen is falling fast.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');