• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

5 Step paint care cycle.....questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 Step paint care cycle.....questions

Howdy folks,
    I have a 2001 Nissan Frontier Desert Runner pickup truck, color is Silver Ice and I haven't been taking care of the paint like I should. It hasn't been waxed in 2.5 years but I plan on changing that ( I don't have any swirling). I was looking at the 5 step paint care cycle and came up with the following and since I'm new at this I wanted to submit it for review.

1. Wash ( I have a jug of the Deep Crystal Wash)
    2. Claybar then Deep Crystal System Paint Cleaner
    3.Cleaner/Polish ??
    4.Wax (Gold Class Wax)
    5.Quik Detalier/Quik Wax

As far as polish goes I read in another thread that it is optional and best for darker color cars. Is this something I should do anyways and just use a Pure Polish for step 3? Concerning the claybar, I never heard of this but for my truck I would use it just on the hood, top of bed and roof? Wanted to make sure I understood it correctly. I already own the Car Wash and Gold class Wax. I am open to any ideas or specific Meguiars products I should use. Thanks for the input and time. One more question, what is the best way to dry my truck (so I don't have water spots) before doing the Claybar or Paint cleaner? Just use a Chamois?

Paul
    Last edited by paulSC; Dec 28, 2004, 12:38 PM.

Re: 5 Step paint care cycle.....questions

Hi Paul,

Welcome to Meguiar's Online!

Originally posted by paulSC
    Howdy folks,
    I have a 2001 Nissan Frontier Desert Runner pickup truck color is Silver Ice and I haven't been taking care of the paint like I should.
    It hasn't been waxed in 2.5 years but I plan on changing that ( I don't have any swirling).
    Parked outside most of the time or parked inside?

I was looking at the 5 step paint care cycle and came up with the following and since I'm new at this I wanted to submit it for review.

1. Wash ( I have a jug of the Deep Crystal Wash)
    2. Clay bar then Deep Crystal System Paint Cleaner
    3.Cleaner/Polish ??
    4.Wax (Gold Class Wax)
    5.Quik Detailer/Quik Wax
    After you clay the car, if the car has spent most of its time parked outdoors, I would recommend ScratchX instead of the Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner. ScratchX is going to be more aggressive, (while still very safe), and effective at cleaning the paint. If the truck has been parked mostly indoors, then you can use the Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner as the finish shouldn't be as dirty.

How to remove a defect by hand with ScratchX

As far as polish goes I read in another thread that it is optional and best for darker color cars. Is this something I should do anyways and just use a Pure Polish for step 3?
    Applying a pure polish to a previously cleaned surface is beneficial to the paint and adds clarity to the clear coat. If you have a medium to dark color car you will notice a difference, sometimes very dramatic. On white and light colored cars the difference is still taking place, your eyes just do not notice it. If you like, after applying your paint cleaner in step 2, apply a thin coat of a pure polish and then remove it as a polish does not need to dry. (Neither does a paint cleaner or a cleaner/polish. In the Meguiar's line, only waxes need to dry). Deep Crystal Polish is an excellent pure polish and easy to find in most auto parts and retail stores.

Concerning the clay bar, I never heard of this but for my truck I would use it just on the hood, top of bed and roof? Wanted to make sure I understood it correctly.
    Typically, only the flat, or horizontal surfaces accumulate above surface contaminants, but that's not to say you won't find them on the vertical sides also. The best thing to do is to inspect all the panels of your car after washing and drying the car with the palm of your clean, dry hand. If you feel little bumpy things on the surface that washing didn't remove, then you should clay the panel no matter where it is. If you truck has been mostly parked outside for the last few years, it wouldn't hurt to clay the sides.

I already own the Car Wash and Gold class Wax. I am open to any ideas or specific Meguiar's products I should use. Thanks for the input and time. One more question, what is the best way to dry my truck (so I don't have water spots) before doing the Clay bar or Paint cleaner? Just use a Chamois?

Paul
    A good quality chamois will work, many people like the new waffle weave microfibers. It really comes down to personal preference. A good quality 100% cotton towel will work also. Starting in Mid to Late February, Meguiar's will have a brand new line of accessories available that includes all kinds of premium quality tools for making all your detailing jobs easier and more efficient. Some of these new tools include new drying tools.

Here's a link to learn more,

New Gold Class Accessory Line for 2005!

Hope this helps...

Mike
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thanks for all the great info. My truck is parked outside year round. I guess it may be getting to cold now to do a lot of this stuff. Hopefully it will warm up soon. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');