• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Repainting a car - w00t!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repainting a car - w00t!

So, my father, his friend and I are going to tackle the tedious task of repainting my car. My dad's friend has had some experience in painting a car. And, before any of you say 'don't do it', 'go to a professional', etc, this car is 21 years old, and a new paint job by a pro would be worth more than the car.

Plus, I only have the car for another few months, before I give it to my brother to learn in (he's helping paint too).

So, right now, I'm doing the research on tips, so I have a few questions. How many layers of Primer is good? How many layers of paint? and how many layers of clear-coat?

Also, if the cans come in 250g, how many cans of each will be needed for a Ford Telstar '89.

Does anyone have any tips? stories? helpful hints? Anything really, that will kind of aid us, doesn't matter how small the hint, chances are :P anything will definitely help.

Re: Repainting a car - w00t!

Originally posted by Midnight View Post
    So, my father, his friend and I are going to tackle the tedious task of repainting my car. My dad's friend has had some experience in painting a car. And, before any of you say 'don't do it', 'go to a professional', etc, this car is 21 years old, and a new paint job by a pro would be worth more than the car.

Plus, I only have the car for another few months, before I give it to my brother to learn in (he's helping paint too).

So, right now, I'm doing the research on tips, so I have a few questions. How many layers of Primer is good? How many layers of paint? and how many layers of clear-coat?

Also, if the cans come in 250g, how many cans of each will be needed for a Ford Telstar '89.

Does anyone have any tips? stories? helpful hints? Anything really, that will kind of aid us, doesn't matter how small the hint, chances are :P anything will definitely help.
    WOW...Big job...Should be a great experience...

We would suggest speaking with the manufacturer of the paint and follow their guidelines for amount, type, equipment needed, process etc...

Best "tip" we can think of.....Follow the advice of the paint manfacturer

Have you spoken with Meguiar's Autralia ? They distribute House of Color paint...I am sure they would have some great advice

Good luck - take pictures and let us know how it turns out ?
    Mike Pennington
    Director of Global Training, Events and Consumer Relations
    Meguiar's, Inc.
    800-854-8073
    mpennington@meguiars.com

Comment

Re: Repainting a car - w00t!

If you really want to save some money, check out this thread: Rustoleum $50 roll-on paint job

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');