• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pad Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pad Question

Someone posted this on another detailing forum that I frequent. Is there any truth to this statement??

"Much as I like the Meg's pads, they're *really* designed for rotary use and the velcro can fail when used with a PC (due to the different, more lateral, stress). It's not a big enough problem to dissuade me from using them, but it's something to be aware of."

Is there such a thing as pads that are specifically made for a PC and pads specifically made for a rotary??

Thanks!

Here is my experience with them... I have only had one pad failure in 4 years and it was one of my first pads I had for my PC. I have 8-10 pads on hand. I am not a pro but I wax my truck about every 2 months and from time to time I wax my parents cars. I never use it over speed setting 5 and I also wash my pads by hand in warm water with dawn after every use. I have had good luck with them. I am sure others will chime in.

On the pad that failed I used a glue in this post:

It held for about 4-5 details.
    Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
    Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Re: Pad Question

Originally posted by dschribs
      Someone posted this on another detailing forum that I frequent. Is there any truth to this statement??

"Much as I like the Meg's pads, they're *really* designed for rotary use and the Velcro can fail when used with a PC (due to the different, more lateral, stress). It's not a big enough problem to dissuade me from using them, but it's something to be aware of."

Is there such a thing as pads that are specifically made for a PC and pads specifically made for a rotary??

Thanks!
      This person is wrong and spreading false information. This is a good example of how a rumor starts.

Meguiar's has been making foam pads longer than anyone in the business, since 1965, every other company out there making foam pads has copied Meguiar's idea.

The adhesive Meguiar's uses to attach the Velcro material to the foam material is very strong and chemical and water resistant, but just like all things in the world, there are limits to what it can endure.

There are not different adhesives, one for rotary buffers and one for dual action polishers.

Meguiar's has a stellar record with their foam pads when they're used correctly. Most of de-lamination issues come from people running the dual action polisher over the 5.0 setting. Any setting past the 5.0 setting will create heat and force that over time will cause the Velcro material to loosen from the foam for our pads and for anyone companies pads. Period.

People have to remember that there is only so much a dual action polisher can do. I find more and more people are trying to accomplish tasks with the dual action polisher that are best suited for a rotary buffer. This is because most people don't own a rotary buffer and even if they did, they are unsure how to use it and quite frankly, scared to use it, rightly so because incorrectly used it can damage the paint. In essence, people are pushing the envelope of what the dual action polisher and the related chemicals and pad can accomplish.

I document this fairly well in this thread,

PC+83 not "cutting" it!

So the answer to your question is there are no real difference between pads that can be used on a rotary and pads that can be used on a dual action polisher. It all comes down to the adhesive and no foam pad manufacturing company would choose to use their best adhesive for one pad and use a lessor adhesive for a large pad designed for use on a rotary buffer.

Does that make sense?

The person that posted the information about our foam pads is wrong and does not speak for Meguiar's.

Mike
      Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thanks Mike
        I did see on that other forum where if someone DID have a problem with a Meg's pad - customer service was more than happy to try and resolve the problem.

Just as an FYI - I just ordered some #80 and two more Meg's polishing pads to add to my collection.

Now if the temp would only go up 40 - 50 degrees, I'd be all set!!!

Comment

Originally posted by dschribs
          Thanks Mike
          I did see on that other forum where if someone DID have a problem with a Meg's pad - customer service was more than happy to try and resolve the problem.

Meguiar's has the best Customer Care service in the industry. Meguiar's will go above and beyond the call of duty to insure our customers are 100% satisfied.

Interesting note: Problems do occur, that's life. There are always going to be times when a product fails. For example a pad may fail perhaps due to a manufacturing problem or to mis-use, but it is the exception, not the rule.

Of course, it's also very natural that when a problem does occur you'll often find a person posting that experience or sharing it in some other way but for all of the thousands and thousands of pads we sell that do not fail, there are not such posts because it's a non-issue.

Does that make sense?

Hopefully you'll get a break in the weather and you can have some fun...

Mike
          Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Quote: "Much as I like the Meg's pads, they're *really* designed for rotary use and the Velcro can fail when used with a PC (due to the different, more lateral, stress). It's not a big enough problem to dissuade me from using them, but it's something to be aware of."

Like most myth’s there is some truth to it, as MikeP suggests using a Megs pad above speed #5 has caused de-lamination, a myth is born *Megs pads are not suitable for use with a PC*, these irresponsible statements are just negative marketing

JonM

PS: Come down to FL its 75oF and sunny...
            ~ Providing unbiased advice that Professional and Enthusiast Detailer’s Trust ~ Blog – http://togwt1980.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');