• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SwirlX and UC powdering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SwirlX and UC powdering

I'm having issues with SwirlX and UC drying out very quickly and turning to a powder while using my DA polisher. I'm wondering what the mechanism is that causes this?

I'm using about 3 dime sized blobs on the pad, spreading it out on 1/4 section of my hood at speed 2-3, then ramping up to speed 4-5. Very quickly after speeding the DA up, the product begins to dry up and the powder gets thrown all over the car, making a fairly annoying mess. I've tried slowing my DA down and it helped slow the powdering but I obviously get little to no action out of the product at such slow speeds.

So what causes this? Temperature? Humidity? Not enough product? Too much/Not enough pressure?

Thanks!

Re: SwirlX and UC powdering

seems like way too little product

make an X across the pad with the product

Comment

I've experienced the same with UC.

Tested different amounts of UC, still the same ..

Comment

The car should be done in a cool area if possible.
        Try using Kevin Brown method and squirt a tiny bit of quick detailer to reduce drying out of product.

Comment

Originally posted by C30-Mike View Post
          The car should be done in a cool area if possible.
          Try using Kevin Brown method and squirt a tiny bit of quick detailer to reduce drying out of product.
          The air temperature is warm, but this is in my garage out of the sun. It won't get any cooler than that.

I've tried a squirt or two of QD without any noticable improvement.

Comment

Originally posted by fe91 View Post
            seems like way too little product

make an X across the pad with the product
            Thanks for the input.

That could be, but I would actually be suprised. I plan to try more product next time but this seems like an adequate amount of product for the given area once it is spread around, and I am not seeing this problem with M80, at least not yet. M80 seems to last a comparatively long time and works in very nicely, but the two mentioned SMAT products really like to powder up and give no action.

Comment

I had the same problem when I use my DA 220v with the new SMAT products.. I used #83 (DAT) and #80 (DAT) before.. Then I tried PRC D151, Swirl X and UC. I had powdery problem with these products, so I tried to learn more about this SMAT..

In my opinion, and from my experience, I usually sprayed LT on the pad for priming and use # 83 or # 80, but from what I learn and from my own experiment, it was not enough for SMAT Products.. I did research in youtube and Meguiar's Online Forum, and watch Mike P on the Quick Video Tips so I tried the X pattern, tried the pad priming with product, tried to narrow down a bit my working area, and tried to change my technique..

Well those solved my powdery problem.. The other problem also is ,my place is humid and hot.. so I think there is somehow affect the product and techniques.

Hope it helps..
              "Does it come in black?" Bruce Wayne / Batman Begins

Comment

Prime the pad, and try using a little bit more product.
                quality creates its own demand

Comment

Work smaller sections also.
                  Shawn - Final Touch Auto Detail
                  Houston Area Mobile Detailing
                  www.FinalTouchAutoDetail.com

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');