• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New here with a few questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New here with a few questions

First off, this is a great site! I have been lurking for weeks here learning and trying different products and tips! Excellent resource.

A few questions I have about maintaining a bright silver car

Here is the detailing steps I have used: Please critique

1 Wash with Gold class
    2 Clay Bar when needed

Now here is where I get confused between using a paint cleaner versus apolish. I understand that a pure polish has no cleaners or abrasives. But what do I use for silver? DC polish says it's for darker cars, would it be good for bright silver as well? should I first use a cleaner like DC paint cleaner, though that seems to be discontinued? Or do most of you swirlx the entire car?

3 I have used a layer of cleaner wax here because of my confusion above. It seemed to me that it would be a polish/cleaner and add a first layer of wax. Please correct me!

4 NXT 2.0 wax. I really like this stuff!

I also have some scratchX for marks that the cleaner wax can't remove and UC for marks that are even tougher. Both are great products and far better than old school rubbing compounds!

Okay next questions:

I also have been using UQD, but I think wrongly. I assumed it was to be used after a wash or even a waxing to shine the car up a even more. Now it seems that UQW is really for after regular washing and UQD is more like a waterless wash.

So is it okay to use UQD on a dry unwashed car to clean it up without risk of scratching provided one uses good a MF cloth and the car is not very dirty? The thought of wiping a dirty car makes me nervous!

If the above is true, would it be ok/beneficial to follow up UQD with UQW? Or should UQW only be used after a regular wash...or would the two interact poorly? It would be really great to be able to UQD the car to get it clean and then use some UQW to shine it even further plus give the wax a boost!

Thanks for any help you can offer. Sorry for the long first post!

Re: New here with a few questions

Here would be my two processes:

1. Wash
    2. Clay
    3. Clean - ScratchX/UC for bad spots, SwirlX for general cleaning.
    4. Polish - Optional - Will be harder to see a change on silver, but you can still do it if wanted.
    5. Wax
    6. Wax - Two thin coats are best

1. Wash
    2. Clay if needed
    3. Cleaner/Wax or ColorX
    4. Wax

Q.
    1. Ehh.. UQD is good for after a wash, but UQW is even better. However, UQD is also for removing light dust, where UQW needs a clean surface. UQD is not really a waterless wash. To remove heavier dirt with little water, you want ONR.

2. You could follow UQD with UQW, but that is getting a bit expensive. Would be better with a cheaper detailer. If you feel you will be removing light dirt often, you can look into something like Final Inspection or Last Touch, which can got in bulk, and used for claying. UQD is not for claying.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Thanks! That is helpful and seems to line up with what I have seen others on this forum do. Can anyone with a bright silver car speak to using or not using polish?

So swirlX seems to be the cleaner of choice...DC paint cleaner has been discontinued?

I will have to try UQW after using UQD and see how it goes.

Speaking of cost, how do you guys clean your cloths and applicators? I have been just rinsing them in the utility sink and sometimes putting them in the dryer. I would think washing in the machine would be bad for the washer, due to the wax and other residue.

Comment

Yeah, and for a daily driver with some grim, SwirlX might be better anyway. Whats nice is it is stronger, and can remove some mild defects, esp by machine, if you work it in well, focus on an area. But if you get a nice smooth foam applciator, and just apply it gently/evenly, just working it in a little, it goes back to being a nice mild cleaner anyway.

And yeah, DC Cleaner is discontinued in the US. Was still for sale elsewhere, but that may or may not last.

As far as using the machines, it doesnt seem bad. If it is real heavy, you may want a pre soak in a bucket/sink. But with something like wax, or a pure polish, if you are seeing a heavy build up on the towel, you probably used too much.

Comment

I find that Ultimate Compound is very similar to Swirl X but more efficient in paint correction/swirl removal process.

I hardly use Swirl X now, but UC all the time.

Saves time and effort IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by FRS View Post
            I find that Ultimate Compound is very similar to Swirl X but more efficient in paint correction/swirl removal process.

I hardly use Swirl X now, but UC all the time.

Saves time and effort IMO.

The other day, I found some kind of blue splatter near my rear wheel well. No idea what it was, but it was on there good! I was finally able to get rid of it using UC and working pretty hard.

On my newer Murano, the paint really does not need UC all over as it is in great shape, just occasional tough spots. When I go to do my wife's accord, it will get UC all over. It's in BAD shape! That one will get before and after pictures and may take several days to get though!

Comment

So how does the UQD work to clean dust and pollen ect. without risking scratches?

Comment

Well, Meguiars wont say the exact ingrediants of course of their spray detailer type products.

But basically they are going to be a very thin oil/soap solution to lubricate the surface, the dirt, and your cloth, so everything just slides.

That is also why it is for light dust, bird droppings, etc... anything heavier will be more rough, and wont get enough lubrication.

Comment

Originally posted by curlyjive View Post
                  Thanks! Can anyone with a bright silver car speak to using or not using polish?

My G6 is silver and even though it was a modest improvement i recommend polish. I used #7 polish and it gave it that "blind you when the sun hits it just right" look that i never had before.
                  Am i obsessed?? A car is the second biggest financial investment for most people, why not keep it looking better than new?

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');