• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am I applying Ultimate Compound correctly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I applying Ultimate Compound correctly?

Hi guys,

I'm still quite new to detailing but I'm finding it very satisfying. I've had swirl marks on my red car ever since I've owned it and to be honest I actually thought swirl marks were normal. Just a few days ago I clay barred my car for the first time and began to use Swirl X to get rid of the swirls. After a test spot and about 4 applications I didn't see any results so I moved to Scratch X 2.0, again with the test spot and 4 applications I didn't see much improvement. I'm using the yellow Meguiar's foam applicator pad by the way. I decided to step it up a notch and use Ultimate Compound. After 5 applications (should it take that much with UC?) I can see the swirl marks removed with a small amount of scratches left.

What I'm wondering is how do you know when you've worked the product into the paint properly. Usually I stop my overlapping circular motions after the pad begins to squeak against the paint and then wipe off with a microfiber cloth.

Cheers
    P.S. About 2 months ago I had no idea with a clay bar was but I'm very pleased with Meguiar's products so far.

Re: Am I applying Ultimate Compound correctly?

Get a DA if you can. It'll improve the results and relief your back.

You will not regret buying a DA, that's for sure.

Comment

What kind of car are you working on?

Removing swirls by hand is a bit tough, it isnt wipe on/wipe off like many people think. Here are a couple links, and I am sure you can Youtube the rest of the video.

What it Means to Remove a Scratch

How To Remove Swirls By Hand

How To Remove a Bird Dropping Etching by Hand using M105 Ultra Cut Compound

How to correctly apply ScratchX to remove swirls and scratches
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

A Toyota Corolla

Where can I get a DA in Australia?

Comment

How much pressure are you using? This can be the key... if you are too soft, it won't force the abrasives into the paint so they can do their job.

Comment

Quite a bit of pressure but not too much. I use the length of my fingers as well instead of just the tips.

Comment

You have to use quite a bit of elbow grease. Just continue to work at it. You will refine your technique in no time.
              quality creates its own demand

Comment

Originally posted by rps89 View Post

Where can I get a DA in Australia?

Here ($299.00)
                CUSTOMER SERVICE & TECH ADVICE Toll Free: 1800 347 570 Hours: 8:30 am to 5:00 pm Monday to Friday AEDT MOTORACTIVE Unit 35 Slough Business Park Holker S ...

It comes with 5" backing plate, which is a bit small for 2.0 pads.

To get 6" pad (about $30 with postage, send them an email)
                Welcome to JB Tool Sales! We stock thousands of items for your automotive and miscellaneous needs. Detailing supplies, flashlights, diagnostics, heating/cooling products, gloves, hand tools and organizers are just a sample. We run sales regularly so please add us to your favorite stores!

Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');