• US Flag waving in the background behind three Meguiar's spray products.  Meguiar's logo 4th of July Independence Day Sale.  15% Off Sitewide plus Free Shipping Over $99.  Shop Now, Use Code JULY4.  Expires 7/7/24, Valid Online Only, Excludes Discounted Kits.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Detail with Meguiars. Please Review This

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Detail with Meguiars. Please Review This

Hey guys,

This is my first detailing job im about to do with Meguiars and I want to make sure that I got the right products in the right order and the method I am applying them.

Thank You

1. G/C Wash (2 bucket system)
    2. Smooth Surface Clay Kit (apply lube and move clay till it slide off)
    3. Scratchx 2.0 (apply, buff in till it disappears, and then wipe off with MF towel)
    4. ultimate Compound (apply, buff in till it disappears, and then wipe off with MF towel)
    5. Deep Crystal Polish( Buff it and remove with mf towel)
    6. G/C Carnauba Wax (apply to applicator pad and buff in. Let dry and wipe off excess with a mf towel)

Re: First Detail with Meguiars. Please Review This

IMO you don't need both Scratch X and UC. It's better to test the paint first and ascertain which product works for you better. Both do the same job with difference in aggressiveness only.

Instead of Deep Crystal Polish I would go with sealant (#21) and finish off with wax.

I found polish not to be very efficient/effective (on my cars/bikes), and started using #21 as #4 in the process.

Comment

In your listed process I would use Ultimate Compound first and then follow up with Scratch X.

Everything else looks fine in the order you listed.

Good luck with your detail, and don't rush yourself!
      Shawn - Final Touch Auto Detail
      Houston Area Mobile Detailing
      www.FinalTouchAutoDetail.com

Comment

My friend and I just put on some UC on his car it and didnt make a difference. Are we doing anything wrong? We are using one of those cheap $30 buffing machines to do it.

Comment

1. Wash
          2. Clay
          3. Clean - As mentioned above, you probably want SwirlX and Ultimate Compound on your shelf. Ultimate Compound would be for the bad areas (maybe the whole car at first). And then SwirlX would be for regular details in the future.
          4. Polish - A pure polish is optional, up to you.
          5. Wax
          6. Wax

What sort of defects are you going to be working on removing? How bad?
          2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

There could be many things wrong, and using a cheap buffer adds more possibilities.

What kind of cars are you working on as well?

Comment

Guys, I have a question. ADGPT states in #3 and 4 "buff in till it disappears". I had read in another thread that these products listed in these steps used SMAT technology rather than diminishing abrasive technology. So, UC, Scratch-X and Swirl-X did not have to be broken down to get the benefit of the product. Is this still true? If so, can you damage the paint if you "buff in till it disappears" using a D/A? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by FRS View Post
                IMO you don't need both Scratch X and UC. It's better to test the paint first and ascertain which product works for you better. Both do the same job with difference in aggressiveness only.

Instead of Deep Crystal Polish I would go with sealant (#21) and finish off with wax.

I found polish not to be very efficient/effective (on my cars/bikes), and started using #21 as #4 in the process.
                I believe you mean #7, not #4. #7 is Show Car Glaze but #4 is Heavy Cut Cleaner........
                Tedrow's Detailing
                845-642-1698
                Treat Yourself to that New Car Feeling

Comment

Originally posted by ADPGT View Post
                  My friend and I just put on some UC on his car it and didnt make a difference. Are we doing anything wrong? We are using one of those cheap $30 buffing machines to do it.
                  In short, yes, if you aren't getting results out of a proven product you are doing it wrong....but don't take that harshly, it just means you need to adjust your methods, and we can help you out

A cheap orbital like that will not work for Ultimate Compound. Either apply it by hand or with a real polisher.

When you apply by hand work in very small areas (start with 10" x 10") and inspect your work. Sometimes you will need to do multiple applications in the same area to see the desired results.
                  Shawn - Final Touch Auto Detail
                  Houston Area Mobile Detailing
                  www.FinalTouchAutoDetail.com

Comment

I'm sorry Coopers23. I'm new to forums and didn't do a good job of explaning myself. I meant #3 and #4 of ADPGT's original list of detailing steps. Number 3 was Scratch-X and number 4 was Ultimate Compound. I was not referring to numbers in the professional line (I believe that's the line of products they refer to.) Sorry for the confusion.

Comment

The SMAT products will still have a 'workable life' where they are liquid, and then will start to dry up some.

You certainly dont want to dry buff, that can cause swirls.

I think you are asking if you worked them for 10 minutes or so, which by hand or DA, wouldnt happen.

Comment

We are doing 3 cars. They are a Dark Gray 2004 Ford Mustang GT Vert, 2004 Ford Focus Silver, 2005 Toyota Celica Silver.

P.S. The whole detail job is to be done on the Celica but the mustang had light scratches on it and UC didn't really do anything. Can someone give me really detailed instructions on how to apply UC either by hand or a cheap buffer machine?

Comment

Also, Is it possible to acheive a really wet and deep look on the Celica and Mustanga with consumer products? If so, am I using the right ones?

Comment

Here are some directions from an older article, but the same idea still holds. The real key is doing a small area and working the product in. UC should be easier than the older ScratchX, but still wont do anything if just wiped over a large area.

As for the results... yeah, you are using the right products. Silver and gray may not get the deep wet look of black, possible more shiny than dark. If you want the best results, then you'll want to use the DC polish.

Something like the #7 Show Car Glaze may be a bit better of a pure polish, but something to worry about later probably.

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');