• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

my 72 el camino has swirl mars faded paint and some scratches. please help me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my 72 el camino has swirl mars faded paint and some scratches. please help me

i have a 72 el camino ss 454. just got handed down to me. the paint is clean over all. but it has some fading and oxidiation on the hood and fenders and rear quaters. it also has some scratches. the paint shines ok. but when you get in a angle you can se the swirl marks and the fading paint and the oxidisation. can some one give me a step by step way to use these products and how to use them to get the results im looking for please? it was my grandpas car he left me when he passed away and he loved that color red he had it painted. so i want to eave it that color ,but just bring it back by getting the shine and glossy new look without the oxi and fades and scratches out of the car. can someone give me a step by step way to use these poducts and how to?i want to get rid of these defects and have a smooth mirror like finish, i have never used a meguiars products but have hered they are the best. thanks for your help.i want to take the el camino up to hot august nights this weekend in reno nevada if i can get the paint looking good. thanks again.

Re: my 72 el camino has swirl mars faded paint and some scratches. please help me

Sounds like a very cool car !

A couple of questions for you 1st...

- Will you be doing this by hand application, DA polisher or by rotary buffer ?

- Do you want to do multiple steps (best results) or quick and easy ?

- Do you have any of our products now ? if so, which ones

Mike
    Mike Pennington
    Director of Global Training, Events and Consumer Relations
    Meguiar's, Inc.
    800-854-8073
    mpennington@meguiars.com

Comment

Re: my 72 el camino has swirl mars faded paint and some scratches. please help me

Originally posted by Mike Pennington View Post

A couple of questions for you 1st...

- Will you be doing this by hand application, DA polisher or by rotary buffer ?

- Do you want to do multiple steps (best results) or quick and easy ?

- Do you have any of our products now ? if so, which ones

Mike
      i have a polisher. . if it takes me a cuople days the better. thats why i posted on here so i can get a step by step from a expert on what to do. thanks and hope to hee from you soon. i want to get the best results that i can. seems like when i use a wax fromanother company all it does is makes the faded and oxidisation spots shiny. lol i want to take the fade spots and the oxy spots and the swirls out of the paint. along with a mirror like shine. if it had to be a 5 step process that fine with me. im tired if the other waxes from other companys that just make the swirls even mor shiny. i want the fading and swirls and oxy gone and paint glossy. o and yes i do have 2 of your products, i have themeguiars ultimate compound, and thegold classcarnauba plus remium paste wax. i used the wax and it didnt take anything out. or swirls. ust left it shiny.and i could also feel a ruffer serfice not a smooth serfice like it should have been.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Pennington View Post

Mike

I second that, I wish I had one

Comment

i was looking at that 5 step video. should i go with that? wash,and wax? can somone give me a regimen to go with to stick with?

Comment

I would

wash
            clay
            swirlx/ or ultimate compound if needed, start with swirlx first
            M07
            nxt wax
            nxt wax
            Am i obsessed?? A car is the second biggest financial investment for most people, why not keep it looking better than new?

Comment

Originally posted by gmitch23 View Post
              I would

wash
              clay
              swirlx/ or ultimate compound if needed, start with swirlx first
              M07
              nxt wax
              nxt wax
              whats the nxt wax and m07?

Comment

Is there any chance of pics? That would really be best.

Wash - Gold Class soap
                Clay - Smooth Surface Clay kit
                Clean - SwirlX, UC...
                Polish - Deep Crystal Polish or #7 Show Car Glaze (this is the m07 above)
                Wax - Nxt Tech Wax 2.0 (this is the nxt wax above)
                Wax - Nxt Tech Wax 2.0
                2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post

Wash - Gold Class soap
                  Clean - SwirlX, UC...
                  Wax - Nxt Tech Wax 2.0
                  yes i will get some pics up in the morning when there is light outside. some of the car looks good with no fading or hazing but from sitting in the sun for so long it has started to fade in some spots. and i want to get it back to the show car shine it had a couple years ago.

Comment

As long as the paint is not failing in anyway, it should be able to come back very well.

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post

Wash - Gold Class soap
                      Clean - SwirlX, UC...
                      Wax - Nxt Tech Wax 2.0
                      ok. step one- wash
                      step 2 clean with clay kit.
                      3-polish. should i use the show car glaze or the deep crystal polish??
                      4wax. you said nxt wax 2.o twice , do i use it one time and thats the last step?

Comment

The claying (clay kit) and cleaning (SwirlX, UC) are two different steps, they dont do the same thing.

3. Show Car Glaze is pretty top of the line, but can be a little trickier to use. You will certainly want a pure polish either way to moisturize the paint. I suppose we could possibly throw in some other options, but lets see what we are working on. Otherwise, the above is a good general list.

4. For best looks/protection, you want 2 thin coats. Apply once, let dry, remove. Wait 15 minutes. Apply, let dry, remove.

Be sure to keep it thin, and Nxt 2.0 seems to take a little longer to dry. If you dont get it quite right the first time, you may get a few smears, nothing critical.

Comment

i just tried to take pics at night but you couldnt se them goog. i wil send them out imthe am

Comment

Last edited by Markus Kleis; Aug 8, 2010, 11:23 AM. Reason: No hyperlinks before 30 posts

Comment

I think that will come back nicely.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');