• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much money (in product) do you use per detail?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How much money (in product) do you use per detail?

Thanks guys - i don't detail for money, only friends, family and personal. I just wanted to get an idea of how I was doing on time.
    "The Dude Abides"

Comment

Just last week I did a Honda Pilot that looked very dirty before I washed it on all the lower panels. After the wash I discovered this was not dirt, but tar conveniently spread like the owner drove through a large puddle of the black liquid. APC, Body Solvent, and other chemicals did not touch it as it had 'cured.'

It took me 1.5-2 hours to clay working vigorously. It also used up one half of a large clay bar. Result? Repeat customer.

As far as your own cars - take your time and make sure you do a good job. If you have to spread a full detail over several days, just look at it as therapy and remember that you enjoy it. It works!

Comment

Originally posted by aerogt01 View Post
        Just last week I did a Honda Pilot that looked very dirty before I washed it on all the lower panels. After the wash I discovered this was not dirt, but tar conveniently spread like the owner drove through a large puddle of the black liquid. APC, Body Solvent, and other chemicals did not touch it as it had 'cured.'

It took me 1.5-2 hours to clay working vigorously. It also used up one half of a large clay bar. Result? Repeat customer.

As far as your own cars - take your time and make sure you do a good job. If you have to spread a full detail over several days, just look at it as therapy and remember that you enjoy it. It works!
        Were you using one of meguiar's pro clay or just their OTC clay?

You're right...putting in the work to get a car clean, even if it's more work than you anticipated, can lead to repeat work and more money in the long run.
        Shawn - Final Touch Auto Detail
        Houston Area Mobile Detailing
        www.FinalTouchAutoDetail.com

Comment

Sorry, don't keep track of that. Just use what are needed.

Comment

Dunno about how much money per detail I would spend, but I know in the six weeks since I bought my car I've spent a small fortune on Meguiars and Mothers car products..

Have I mentioned my mrs thinks I have OCD?...

Comment

Originally posted by kiwiatlarge View Post

Have I mentioned my mrs thinks I have OCD?...
              No worries, we pretty much all have OCD here. My wife said it years ago and she hasn't left yet!
              "The Dude Abides"

Comment

I checked the wrong box. I said over $20 but I think I am in the $10-$15 range.
                Tedrow's Detailing
                845-642-1698
                Treat Yourself to that New Car Feeling

Comment

I'd say that our biggest cost is in the prep work. After wash/clay and before we start the correction we always tape off the entire car. Emblems, trim, windows, and every crevice we can fit it into to save dusting later gets covered. We also usually completely cover the wheels and seal off the windows with plastic to save time towards the end that we'd otherwise spend trying to get dust out of the cracks. We usually go through at least 2 rolls of tape per car, sometimes 3 on trucks, and at $5.50 a pop it adds up quick, especially on top of all the other products used.

Comment

Labor is the way to go. Product is product, lost time or time spent can't be replaced. Go with per hour charges and you will be fine. I base it on "how long will this take?" after initial inspection. 2, 4, 8, 10 hours? It's up to you....

Andy
                    Keeping MOL family friendly! If you need help or have a question, don't hesitate to shoot me an email or PM. 101impala@gmail.com
                    Andy M. Moderator

Comment

for good detail job is did this week on a Golf Mk3 Convertible

i used 47,60 euro's worth of product!
                      it was A big job Nothing was to be cut short!
                      and 45 hours of detaling time

A Regular Detail job is 17,70 average!
                      doing that mostly every monday

The Average Wash and Paint Recondition is about 4,50
                      Wash n wax + UQD

Still making some big money and having happy customers!
                      the money is good for development!
                      and other equipment & investments!

but yes sometimes its for me a hour based cost Charge!

but i always spend a few minutes with the customer
                      Afther quickly washed ther car!

Giving it a good inspection.
                      Ask them Wat they like and expect see from me!
                      and give them the possibility's!
                      and discuss what can and can not be repaired!

work fine with me always happy customers!
                      most of them come back when they resprayed certain parts!
                      knowing i can work those panels also flaw less and orange peel free

i love Meguiars *work smart not hard*

Thumbs up

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');