• US Flag waving in the background behind three Meguiar's spray products.  Meguiar's logo 4th of July Independence Day Sale.  15% Off Sitewide plus Free Shipping Over $99.  Shop Now, Use Code JULY4.  Expires 7/7/24, Valid Online Only, Excludes Discounted Kits.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ahhhhh sprinkler water spots. what to do

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ahhhhh sprinkler water spots. what to do

So I've parked my car outside overnight for a few nights and the sprinkler has sprayed my car all over I hadn't move the car for about a week so every night it got sprayed and during the day it caked in the 100 degree CA weather. I washed it today and you can still clearly see big giant water spots on the paint under the light. I read online this is as a result of minerals getting hardened on the paint and if it sits for about a week, it will etch the paint. some detaling guides mentioned to use vinegar to loosen the minerals and wipe away and in more severe etched in the paint cases, to use a mild compund then polish and wax. are there any other ways around this? I really dont want to do all this by hand........

It just ***** because the car was NXT 2.0 waxed a week prior to gettin sprinkled and i expect that wax to protect the finish.....

Re: ahhhhh sprinkler water spots. what to do

Try the vinegar, if they are still there then they've etched and you have to polish them out. Sorry no easier way out.

Comment

Well, if you get to it right away, hopefully the wax will have protected it.

I think you will want to wash and clay bar, and see where you are. Hopefully nothing more than SwirlX would be needed.
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Water spots are the bane of my black S2K. If I do not wash the car soon after the car has been exposed to rain or sprinkler water, the minerals in the water will etch my paint. The micro-thin layer of wax/sealant does not protect the paint for long against water spotting.

I have tried spraying the affected areas with a 50/50 solution of distilled vinegar and water. I let it set for a minute or two and then I wash my car. I have not had good luck with this.

I have found Meguiar's cleaner waxes to be helpful in removing water spots, if I hit them soon enough. Presently, I am using M20 but I'm sure that ColorX would work equally well, if not better. I suggest that you get yourself a bottle of ColorX. Wash the car and then apply the ColorX with a foam applicator. Do a test spot, perhaps an 18'x18' square of the affected area. Use an ample amount and apply with a modest amount of pressure, as if you were polishing the paint (which in fact you are). Allow to dry to a haze and buff off. Inspect. Did it remove the water spots? Does the paint look good? If yes, then apply the ColorX to the entire car. You can then top the ColorX with a coat of NXT.

If the ColorX doesn't work, you may have no choice but to machine polish the paint to remove the paint etching.

I hope this works for you. Good luck!
        Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
        --Al Kimel

Comment

I have a Linen Gold Chrysler 300C, that recently developed light water spots on the horizontal surfaces. I park in a garage and I'm in Winnipeg, so it probably didn't get a chance to bake on, but they wouldn't wash off. My car was due for waxing anyways, so I waxed it with a cleaner wax, and goodbye water spots. Try a bit of your car with a cleaner wax and see how it turns out (I started out by doing half my trunk, and could notice the difference), you may be surprised.

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');