• US Flag waving in the background behind three Meguiar's spray products.  Meguiar's logo 4th of July Independence Day Sale.  15% Off Sitewide plus Free Shipping Over $99.  Shop Now, Use Code JULY4.  Expires 7/7/24, Valid Online Only, Excludes Discounted Kits.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help with these rims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with these rims

My girlfriends brother in law texted me the other night and asked me if I could clean his rims. Well with the combined products we used it took about an hour just to clean one rim. Is there a better product that will cut that in half. These rims are stained with I quess hard water or something.
    This is the rear rim.

This is the front we did.

Re: Need help with these rims

Ouch. Super fine steel wool and metal polish? But don't take my word for it, they're not my rims. But that's probably what I would use. They look NASTY.
    Composers shouldn't think too much, it interferes with their plagiarism. -- Howard Dietz

Comment

Polishing rims **** and thats a case where you need to find aggressive product and then step down to refine.

I polish my own stuff on my own time which is enjoyable but it gets very retarted when your trying to do a customer's car. If those bolts are removeable, then remove them to get a clean spot, those def stand out.

Sad part is im very retarted about the look of a rim but I bet from standing up and being 5 or so feet away, I bet they look worlds better.

Comment

Polishing wheels takes time, that's just how it is. You made a great improvement on that one. #0000 steel wool will help speed things up, it is slightly abrasive but not so much to scratch. There are also drill attachments from various company's that will help a lot. I like to spray an all wheel cleaner first and use steel wool with that, them move to the polish. Seems to speed things up. Best of luck!

Comment

First you need to find out what the wheels are made of and if they are coated with anything. Cepek wheels usually have a UV protectant top coat on whatever material they are made from.

Looks like there is a lot specs of surface rust, possibly from the material in the brake dust sitting on the wheels and then oxidizing.

Comment

What did you use so far? And any coatings?
            2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Need more info. What did you use to get them to look like this?
              quality creates its own demand

Comment

I think whatever they WERE coated with is long gone by now...
                Composers shouldn't think too much, it interferes with their plagiarism. -- Howard Dietz

Comment

Polishing wheels is an art all it's own.
                  I've a product called Flitz and had some great results. Mothers Power Ball and their liquid metal polish works good also. The best produt I've used (other than a rotary and blocks of metal polishing rouge ) is good ol' Meguiar's All Metal Polish and lots and lots of "passion" as Mike Phillips would say. In other words there are no real short cuts when polishing wheels.
                  Professional Automotive Reconditioning Services
                  "You scuff it-I buff it!"

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');