• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wash, Quick Detailer, and then Wax?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wash, Quick Detailer, and then Wax?

I am going to college in Kalamazoo, MI and live at an apartment complex. I always keep VERY good care of my vehicles, so i am trying to see what I can do about waxing my car.

I don't have access to a location where I can hand-wash my vehicle, so I was wondering if I could wash my car using a touchless hand car wash around here. I would use High-Pressure Wash, then High-Pressure Soap, and then High-Pressure Wash to finish the wash.....then could I use Quick Detailer.

After all of that could I apply a wax to the car?

Re: Wash, Quick Detailer, and then Wax?

That might work, though I have found that even with the high pressure soap and wash the car does not get as clean as I would like it to be. If you are at a coin-op, they might allow during off-peak hours you to fill up you wash bucket while in the bay (using your preferred car wash solution) and hand wash the car. You can then rinse the car with the high pressure wand. The surface should then be ready for wax.

May I suggest that you pick up a bottle or jug of Optimum No Rinse. It's designed expressly for folks in your situation. After you take your car through your touchless car wash, follow-up with an ONR rinse. Now your car will be ready for wax.
    Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
    --Al Kimel

Comment

The only issue I see with touchless car washes is that they do NOT get everything. Often you need to rewash, or hit heavy spots.

Do you have access to car washes that are self serve timed and has a high press. wand. I mean you can take a bucket that has your soap, wash mitt, water blade, and towels (meg water magnets). You can essentially use that or even a few 1 gal water jugs to get the car wet, soap up, and then high press water rinse. Pull out and dry.

IMO I would do that first.

I regularly take care of my 2000 Buick and it has a decent wax layer but I noticed when going on a weekend getaway with the wife. I parked at the CT shore and litterially had over 100 diff bird sh*ts on the car, it was almost comical.

I hit the touchless wash to get the majority off. But I still need to go over it with a hand wash and re-wax before the dark weather really hits.

Comment

Thanks for the input. I will have to look into finding a place where I can take a bucket and wash by hand.

Also, thanks for the heads up on the Optimum No Rinse.

Comment

Try Nomad 2 Go Portable 12V Power Washer which plugs in your vehicle cigarette lighter. It has 3.5 gallon water capacity so if your car is really dirty carry some extra 1 gallon bottle of water for extra rinse. You still need a bucket with a soap. You can get it at Amazon or Autogeek. If you use distilled water there will be no water spots.

Comment

No more thing. Nomad has also 18V battery version of their power washer. The battery lasts about 3 full washes. It can still be plugged to vehicle's 12V source.

Comment

Also, thanks for the heads up on the Optimum No Rinse.[/QUOTE]

ONR is a great product for someone in your position! You can also then use it as your regular wash until the car gets really caked on dirt/grime. All you wil need is a bucket, ONR, a wash mit like microfiber ones, and a drying towel. I prefer the waffel weave microfiber towels. I wash with the mit a section like half the hood then dry it with the towel. Move on to the next section.....
              Barry

Comment

I would go with the ONR. It would be great for you.
                quality creates its own demand

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');