• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this DO-ABLE ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this DO-ABLE ?

I have a scratch that is too deep for the PC, i can feel it very well with a fingernail. Not into the color though, as i can see it is still blue.

Here is what i was thinking of doing.

*Disclaimer, this is my idea, do it at your own risk!

Ok here we go,

Clean the scratch/area with Isop. Alcohol.

Wax around the area, making sure not to wax the scratch.

Hit the scratch with a quick coat of clear coat from Dupli-Color.

Next day buff it off.

Hopefully the scratch will be filled and the clear removed from the surrounding area.

Yes or No?

Maybe. Check this site out before doing anything.

Tom

Comment

Wow, thanks, that looks alot better then my idea

Comment

Re: Is this DO-ABLE ?

Originally posted by JeffM
        Hit the scratch with a quick coat of clear coat from Dupli-Color.

Next day buff it off.

Hopefully the scratch will be filled and the clear removed from the surrounding area.

Yes or No?
        How about probably not.

There's nothing wrong with trying, but chances are the polisher will remove most or the paint you apply. Your best bet would be to let it set up for at least a couple days.

Also, go to a crafts store or an artists supply store and purchase a very fine tipped paint brush which will allow you to apply a very small amount of paint versus the big brush head that comes in the lid of the touch-up paint.

Best of luck...

Mike
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I'm also interested in doing some touch-up work on some rock chips on the hood of my silver Honda Civic. The bettercarcare article says to wetsand the touch-up paint and then buff out the sanding. The author uses 3M Perfect-It Rubbing Compound or Eagle One Scratch Remover. Would Scratch X or a PC with #80 or #83 work as well?

Comment

Yes, but after you clean the area you would still want to wipe it again with a 50/50 mix of water and Isopropyl Alcohol.

Mike
            Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

I understand the need to clean and prep the chip so that it is able to accept the touch-up paint. My question was actually in reference to the steps on leveling and buffing the defect after the touch-up paint has been applied. My main concern is about being able to remove the marring from the wetsanding. If Scratch X will be able to the job, then I'd feel more comfortable tackling this project.

Also, the article states in the prep step to use P21S Total Auto Wash to remove the wax and oils. Can you recommend other products (Meguiar's) that would also work here?

Comment

Wet-sanding and then buffing the touched-up area can be done, but it is difficult either by hand or machine. How difficult depends on how hard your paint is because this will determine how hard it will be to remove your sanding marks.

Your best bet is going to use very little touch-up paint so you don't build up a big blob, then sand lightly only the touch-up paint blob finishing with a very fine grit finishing paper like our Nikken #2500 grit.

Then you can remove your sanding marks by hand or machine.

This last Saturday, I hand sanded some scratches out of a Corvette bumper using Nikken #2500 grit paper, then removed my sanding marks with three well worked applications of ScratchX.

While this wasn't exactly what you're trying to do, the idea is the same, I sanded a factory finish and then removed my sanding marks by hand. After I demonstrated ScratchX could remove sanding marks by hand, I then went a head and re-cleaned and polished the area with a rotary buffer for a more flawless, high gloss finish. I'll post the pictures today.

Mike
                Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by kty10
                  I understand the need to clean and prep the chip so that it is able to accept the touch-up paint. My question was actually in reference to the steps on leveling and buffing the defect after the touch-up paint has been applied. My main concern is about being able to remove the marring from the wetsanding. If Scratch X will be able to the job, then I'd feel more comfortable tackling this project.

Also, the article states in the prep step to use P21S Total Auto Wash to remove the wax and oils. Can you recommend other products (Meguiar's) that would also work here?
                  im not positive on this one but an application of DC1 should remove wax and oils maybe someone else will know better
                  Patrick Yu
                  2003 Honda Accord
                  2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');