• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

$100 Buffer/Polisher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $100 Buffer/Polisher

I'm looking to get a Buffer, but don't wanna spend anytting like $300, I saw a $100 Buffer, it was a Orbital one. Is that the type I want?

I just want it to buff out a few clear coat scratches, and put polish and wax on.

Nothing hardcore, I just want a pretty simple one, to keep my coat for a long time. So would it be ok for me?

You should look into a Porter Cable 7424 Dual Action Polisher. I bought mine online from www.coastaltool.com for $130. It is a great machine for what you are looking for.
    Nothing but the best, That's why I use Meguiar's.
    1996 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC Dark Baltic Blue
    4.6 32 Valve DOHC V8

Comment

Well, being in Canada, there's too much hassle in buying things online (shipping fees), but what makes the Porter-Cable one better than otehrs? The thick polishing pad?

And I guess I was right, I want an orbital one right?

Comment

I highly recommend that you spend some in the G100 forum (Meguiar's name for the Porter Cable buffer). Here's the link.....

If you're not going to get the PC, I would simply continue to work by hand and save the $100. None of the other so called "orbital" buffers are worth the time and money.
        Boss_429

Comment

u should get the porter cable 7424 polisher for $99 at lowes

then order the pads and velcro pack from meguiars for around $30

Comment

Hey CanucksDakotaRT

To be very honest, I would not waste my money on a $100 orbital. It will apply wax, but it will not remove scratches or marring on the paint.

The G100 or PC have variable speeds, as well as the ability to use a backing plate so that you can use a particular pad for the right situation.

Sadly, the PC is quite expensive up here, generally selling for $219 Ca. But rather than spend $100 an a regular orbital and then being unhappy with it, you would be better off spending the extra for the PC. Backing plates etc can be bought through Lordco.

Cheers!

Tim
            Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Originally posted by 2hotford
              Hey CanucksDakotaRT

To be very honest, I would not waste my money on a $100 orbital. It will apply wax, but it will not remove scratches or marring on the paint.

The G100 or PC have variable speeds, as well as the ability to use a backing plate so that you can use a particular pad for the right situation.

Sadly, the PC is quite expensive up here, generally selling for $219 Ca. But rather than spend $100 an a regular orbital and then being unhappy with it, you would be better off spending the extra for the PC. Backing plates etc can be bought through Lordco.

Cheers!

Tim
              I agree having used an 10" orbital buffer and a PC the PC is the only way to go! Do you have Lowe's Home Improvement in Canada?
              Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
              Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

So is the PC 7424 the same thing as the G-100? This is probably a dumb question,sorry, but i just had to ask.

Comment

Originally posted by Dustin
                  So is the PC 7424 the same thing as the G-100? This is probably a dumb question,sorry, but i just had to ask.
                  Yes... Porter-Cable makes the g100 for Meguiars its sold as a 7424 in home improvement stores. BUT the g100 comes with a lifetime warranty and the Meguiars backing plate.

You would need to pick up a backing plate and pads from Meguiars for the 7424. a kit with the backing plate and 3 pads from meguiars runs around $32.00.

Here is the kit: http://www.meguiars.com/store_meguia...AV99&store=meg
                  Last edited by gb387; Jan 30, 2005, 11:49 AM.
                  Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
                  Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Yeah, I got a Lordco, and a Lowe's, so I'll just try there, I guess I'll sehell out the extra bucks, but I'm surprised I have to spend that much for it, cause I don't perfection, just some decent results.

I'll check out the price and probably get the PC, but can I buy pads and what not from there? Or do I have to order them?

Comment

You can buy the 7336 (same as the 7424 but with a 6 oz. counte weight) Porter Cable at Lowes for the $100 you mentioned and pick up a backing plate and pads for another $40. You might not need a machine that delivers perfection but isn't nice to know that the machine you have can deliver that in the right hands.
                      *No Applause, Just Throw Money!*

Comment

Originally posted by CanucksDakotaRT
                        I'll sehell out the extra bucks, but I'm surprised I have to spend that much for it, cause I don't perfection, just some decent results.

You don't have to use a PC to get decent results. A lot of people get very good results by hand. You could get some ScratchX to remove/minimize those scratches, and then maybe some #9 to polish out remaining spider-web marks. Both those products work very nicely by hand.

Once you have the paint prepped, just apply and remove the wax/sealant of your choice.
                        Boss_429

Comment

I used my PC 7336 today for the first time on my wife's van. I clayed it and applied 2 coats of NXT. I was really happy with. I love this thing already. Can't wait to get my pad kit from Meguiar's and some #80 and use it on my truck!

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');