• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lots of nasty grease and dirt in trunk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lots of nasty grease and dirt in trunk

hey guys so i am starting to clean out my trunk of my Dart Swinger and i found nasty thick grease like mud what are some of the products you guys use to cut through grease like this, its very thick stuff i have tried Dx330 grease/tar remover its a bit pricey so i do not want to waste that stuff i have tried gunk and and not very succesfull and tried wiping it out with a towl and soap water mix but it smears it around. most of the greasy caked on gunk as you see in the picture is in the spare tire well any products you guys have had success with? the black part is the POR15 i have applied to the half of the trunk that has no grease

Alex
    1972 Dodge Dart Swinger360
    1998 SVT Cobra 1 of 551
    1969 Ford Mustang Fastback

Re: Lots of nasty grease and dirt in trunk

There is a time and place for Dawn....

But really, you may just have to get a soapy water solution (with whatever soap/degreaser people recommend) and let it soak a bit to dissolve some.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Looks to me like you have some light surface rust as well. Is the car restored or is it going to be restored?

If its only minor, I would buy CLR. Just google it. I used it on my floor pan and trunk then went over it with POR 15. Got rid of all the grease and surface rust in one application.

Comment

I'd scrape out what you can with a plastic putty knife and stick it in a grocery bag to throw away, then remove the rest with a Dawn/degreaser solution.
        Shane
        1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL

If you trim yourself to fit the world you'll whittle yourself away. - Aaron Tippin

Comment

I also would remove what you can with a putty knife. It will save a lot of work and time. Then your mess should be more manageable. Then depending on how much is left, adjust accordingly.
          quality creates its own demand

Comment

Thanks guys for all the input and advice ill give the putty knife a shot and i was usinbg a off brand soap that probably does not cut through the grease as much like dawn soap ill give it a shot

As for the rust I spent 3 hours on the half with POR 15 on it before applying the POR15 i took a grinder and sanded it down to metal first to start over with fresh metal then put the anti rust POR15 over it to sufficate the rust and kill it off thats what im probably goin to do to the other side but i will look into the CLR never used it before ill most definately look it up.

Originally posted by rst08tierney View Post
            Looks to me like you have some light surface rust as well. Is the car restored or is it going to be restored?

If its only minor, I would buy CLR. Just google it. I used it on my floor pan and trunk then went over it with POR 15. Got rid of all the grease and surface rust in one application.
            Alex
            1972 Dodge Dart Swinger360
            1998 SVT Cobra 1 of 551
            1969 Ford Mustang Fastback

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');