• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quick questions from a beginner...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick questions from a beginner...

Hey guys,

I just ordered a whole lot of products online, and am going to start my detail as soon as they arive.

Here's the plan: Wash, dry, wheels, jambs, interior, glass - night before
    Clay, polish (UC, Swirl X, M07), NXT 2.0 - full day after
    2nd coat of NXT- next morning,

I was just wondering whether to polish the car (by hand) inside the garage or out in the sun, because my garage has average lighting (not the best), so I will definitely have to pull it out in the sun to inspect it, but what about during polishing??

Sorry if it sounds stupid, but this is my first time polishing, i have only washed and waxed before,

thanks, BMW-5

Re: Quick questions from a beginner...

If you are going to really polish out your car by hand to a swirl free finish you will need more than one day. In fact, many detailers including me will recommmend a panel a day if trying to remove swirls by hand.

Remember that in order to remove swirls, you have to remove a very small amount of paint. This is why a machine such as the Meguiars G110v2 makes the job a lot easier while remaining safe for people of all ages and experience.

What type of applicators are you using? I recommend foam applicatorsas they are the easiest to work with. However, these usually need to be bought online. autodetailingsolutions.net carries them.

Finally, what color car are you working on? If you are working on a light color like white then that whole process may not be needed. A simple clay followed by a cleaner/wax like Colorx is good for white since white hides defects very well.
    Tedrow's Detailing
    845-642-1698
    Treat Yourself to that New Car Feeling

Comment

Thanks for the reply,
      I have bought quite a lot of foam applicators and I am working on a metallic black sedan,
      unfortunately i do not have enough time to devote a day to each panel,
      If i could i would, but is it okay to polish in the sun?

Comment

I would not polish in the sun. If you can work in the garage with the door open to let daylight in that would be best.

Comment

Polishing in the sun is not the best of ideas. Working in the sun is never really a recommended practice. If you have a work light or something of that nature to put up in your garage while you work that would be very beneficial.
          Joel
          Firefighter/EMT-B
          Rejuvenation Auto Detailing
          "Satisfaction Guaranteed or Your Dirt Back!!!"
          '99 F-150

Comment

The sun is ok to be in, it is the surface temp you have to watch.

If you panels are getting warm/hot in the sun, you'll probably need to find shade. Otherwise, stay outside.
            2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Yeah, I agree,
              over here the sun is very harsh, so the panels will get very hot,
              I guess i'll have to do the best i can with the garage lights and the sun coming in from the door,
              thanks everyone

Comment

You can pick up a cheapo 300-500 watt hologen light to light up the panel you are working on.

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');