• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Waxing Ferrari Testarossa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waxing Ferrari Testarossa

Great forum with lots of information but I could use a little expert advice using the MG products.
    I've been an avid user of the #7 for most of my cars and then a light coat of #23..Is this a good combo for the car as I've just got it and the paint finish is pretty good with only mild spider webs.??? - OR what would you recommend for maximum shine and good protection..Thanks in advance!

Re: Waxing Ferrari Testarossa

Are you wanting to remove the swirls?

Working by hand, machine?

And #23 is the Odor Eliminator? #26 maybe?
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I am a HUGE fan of the Ferrari Testarossa... please post some pictures!

And, please let us know what process you will use (machine or by hand) to correct the finish on your car.
      -Jake
      Better is a poor man who walks in his integrity than a rich man who is crooked in his ways. -Proverbs 28:6

Comment

Thanks MURR1525, and anyone else..
        Sorry.. your right it's intoxicating enough already ...I meant #26,
        I'm doing it by hand until I get a new orbital..(another story)..I don't mind the extra work I guess..I've actually washed, clay'd it and put 2 thin coats of #7 in the past 2 days and it's now ready for a top coat and I've had decent results in the past with the #26..but I know there has been a great deal of new polishes / wax introduced in recent years that might do better topped over the #7..I managed to get the majority of webs out with the 2nd coat of #7 so i thought it was a decent choice and being "red" it added a "richer" shade to it that I like so far..now i want it to look deep and brilliant...any comments?:

Comment

As a professional detailer, I still use #26 Yellow for my last step product on my personal vehicles (and high-end customer cars). I've found nothing better.
          -Jake
          Better is a poor man who walks in his integrity than a rich man who is crooked in his ways. -Proverbs 28:6

Comment

Isn't #7 a glaze....? You realize you simply have just masked the swirls and they are still there ... Try 205 if you can ... Plenty of oils as well as some light correcting power
            I did a Testarossa last year and gave it 205 and 26 as it was more of a garage queen ... Had it been a daily driver I would have probably insisted on something with more durability like a sealant

Comment

Fred and others,
              I always thought the glaze had a "filling" aspect to it..as the swirls generally disappear?? I do have the M 9 swirl remover I use for scratches and finish swirls..I'm not a pro..just a weekend hobby I enjoy..I sincerely appreciate the helpful comments..If I did just mask the webs what should be my next step??
              Thanks

Comment

I find polishing by hand for the purpose of swirl removal to be just too darn hard and time consuming, with minimal results. If you want to correct your paint, you are far better off investing in a dual action polisher (not a regular orbital polisher), pads, and polishes.

If I were you, RacerX, I would apply two coats of M26 and just sit back and admire the car. You've done all the prep work you can profitably do by hand.

But if you still want to try hand polishing your car, then buy a bottle of Ultimate Compound and either SwirlX or Ultimate Polish (soon to be available), as well as several foam applicators and high quality microfiber towels. Read through the various threads on his forum devoted to "Working by Hand." You want to keep your work space small. Be patient. Begin with the least aggressive polish and then move up if it isn't effecting the level of paint correct you desire. Inspect the paint carefully. Always do a TEST SPOT first. (Re-read that last sentence.) Good luck!
                Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
                --Al Kimel

Comment

After masking the swirls with #7, you can use any sealant or wax that you have!

After the first coat cures(24 hrs), apply a 2nd coat! and do post pics!!

Comment

Yeah, you just hid the swirls, not removed them.

You would do as Al says above woth SwirlX and UC. Seeing which you needed, working them in, etc.

As far as wax, that is just a personal choice. I am sure the new Ultimate Wax coming out soon will have everyone re-stocking and comparing. Just have to go with what you like, nothing wrong with #26.

Comment

Thanks everyone i'll order a orbital today, either the MG or the Griots and i'm going to put 2 coats of 26 on it in a few and see what we have..
                      I put the car out in the light a few minutes ago (It's super sunny here in Auburn Al) and I could still see some of the webs but not near what it had before and the depth of red is pretty astounding..I'll post a few pictures later today if I can figure it out how to paste them in..
                      I'll try again when the orbital comes in probably as I get pretty excited when I see something work well!!

Comment

Here are a couple pics from today..still plan to put a 2nd coat on tomorrow (#26) but the gloss increased a good bit, however the color depth definitely went up significantly...and the color (red) is easily a shade richer. Of course performing this by hand took a great deal of effort getting streaks out when the wax went on thicker. (I tried to keep the coat thin) but I'm very pleased and looking forward to getting an orbital next week so I can practice getting webs out LOL (I went with the Griots) Also, I went over the car prior to top coating with #26 with the QD to remove any dust etc from yesterday..
                        Now that i've written this it will only let me use pic's from a website address, which I don't have..sorry ..I was hoping to show this thread and the replies I received something to see but i'll have to figure it out another time...FYI I washed, clay'd, 2 coats of #7 , wipe down with QD and a single topcoat of #26 and another planned for tomorrow..thanks for listening and the comments!

Comment

Yeah, it is usually best to upload the pics to your gallery here, then insert the link to them.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');