• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M105 Touch-Up Paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M105 Touch-Up Paint

Hello everyone. I was wondering about the M105 product and how much it can cut. I have a shallow scratch in my paint that goes through the clearcoat (and makes the scratch look white). The scratch cannot even be felt most of the way. It is about 2 inches long, and very thin. There is an area in the middle of the scratch line that appears to have chipped the paint off, however (like a rock chip). I was thinking about filling the scratch and the chip in with touch-up paint and wetsanding to get it level, but wetsanding sounds very risky based on what I have read here. It sounds possible that I could get the wetsanding marks off from the touch-up paint, but not the clearcoat. So my question is this: If I put enough effort into it, do you think that it would be possible to use just M105 with a buffing pad to get the touch-up paint level with the rest of the paint? Also, would I need to clearcoat the touch-up paint, or would simply keeping the area waxed work just as well? Thank You in advance for the help.

Re: M105 Touch-Up Paint

Its impossible to give a correct answer without seeing the vehicle in person

Here is the process I would follow:

1) Rotary + Wool + 105

2) Wetsand + Rotary + Wool + 105

3) Touchup (2 coats ~ no clear) wait two - hours, Wetsand + Rotary + Wool + 105

If you can catch your fingernail pretty good along the scratch, then I would skip #1 & #2 and go straight to #3

Comment

Thank you for the response, but I do not have a rotary. I also do not believe that I have the skill to use a rotary either (I do have the DA polisher, however, which I heard cannot apply enough pressure because the clutch will cause it to stop). I cannot catch my fingernail on the scratch until I reach the chipped area. It is really a very shallow scratch, so I was wondering if applying a little bit more touch-up paint above the surface would be a good idea, if it were possible to use M105 (by hand, if possible) to get the surface level. Thanks again.
      Edit: I also wanted to avoid using wetsanding if that was at all possible.

Comment

Originally posted by 44247844 View Post
        Thank you for the response, but I do not have a rotary. I also do not believe that I have the skill to use a rotary either (I do have the DA polisher, however, which I heard cannot apply enough pressure because the clutch will cause it to stop). I cannot catch my fingernail on the scratch until I reach the chipped area. It is really a very shallow scratch, so I was wondering if applying a little bit more touch-up paint above the surface would be a good idea, if it were possible to use M105 (by hand, if possible) to get the surface level. Thanks again.
        Edit: I also wanted to avoid using wetsanding if that was at all possible.
        I would give your DA a whirl at it before the hand job (ooops, just said dirty word) It certainaly won't hurt and you may be able to achieve the results you desire using this method. You will need a finishing polish after the 105. 205 would work best

I would only do a "heavy coat" of touchup if I'd planned on sanding it level. If you choose to go the touchup paint without sanding. Apply as thin a coat as possible covering only the area needed. Also, skip the clearcoat

What large city are you near in Texas? I know of several top quality ppl in Texas that I'm sure would be happy to help you for a nominal fee

Comment

Thanks again. I live near Austin, so maybe you know of someone around here that could help. I was only planning on applying a very small amount over the paint level, so that I could theoretically cut it down using a DA or some by hand method and M105. I just really want to avoid wetsanding since it could leave marks that cannot be taken out without professional help.

Comment

Thanks again. I live near Austin, so maybe you know of someone around here that could help. I was only planning on applying a very small amount over the paint level, so that I could theoretically cut it down using a DA or some by hand method and M105. I just really want to avoid wetsanding since it could leave marks that cannot be taken out without professional help.
            Buffing will not level it out no matter what or who is doing it. You can touch it up and make it look pretty good without sanding. What area of the car is this scratch?

My freind Cosmin is in Austin. He's a super nice dude

www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47164

Here is his most recent work ^

Comment

The scratch is on the rear right panel of the car, about 3 inches above the rear right tire. I figured that since M105 is a cutting compound, and that cutting compounds get rid of imperfections by removing the paint that has the imperfection, I should theoretically be able to get the touch-up paint level with the rest of the paint. So does this mean that wet sanding is the only option (or to just touch-up the paint without leveling it)? Thanks again.

Comment

The scratch is on the rear right panel of the car, about 3 inches above the rear right tire. I figured that since M105 is a cutting compound, and that cutting compounds get rid of imperfections by removing the paint that has the imperfection, I should theoretically be able to get the touch-up paint level with the rest of the paint. So does this mean that wet sanding is the only option (or to just touch-up the paint without leveling it)? Thanks again.
                Its the only way I know how to do it maybe one of the whipper snappers have another plan of attack

Comment

Alright, fair enough. I guess I will look into Pro Reflections like you suggested. I hope the price is not too steep, or I may look into wet sanding or just touching up the paint and leaving it at that. Thanks again for all of your help!

Comment

Alright, fair enough. I guess I will look into Pro Reflections like you suggested. I hope the price is not too steep, or I may look into wet sanding or just touching up the paint and leaving it at that. Thanks again for all of your help!
                    No problem. Maybe if you could already have the car prepped (washed/clayed) that could help on the cost

Good Luck and don't be a stranger

Comment

what is the model of the vehicle and what color is?
                      also 105 with yellow aplicator foam pad it works by hand but takes some energy to clean the paint.

also don`t expect 100% fix with touch up. usually touch up pass 6 ft test but with a close inspection the touch up will be visible.
                      proreflection
                      *Ceramic Coating * Protection Film * Car Wrap * Paint Correction

Detail Luxury and Exotics in Austin area

Comment

The car is a 2010 Nissan Altima Coupe, and the color is Crimson Black (which looks like a purple-maroon color in bright light, or black at night). I know that a 100% repair is not available using touch-up paint, but I just want it to be as good as it can get. Do you have any idea of how much touching up the paint would cost based on my descriptions of the scratch? Thank You.

Comment

Originally posted by Cosmin View Post
                          what is the model of the vehicle and what color is?
                          also 105 with yellow aplicator foam pad it works by hand but takes some energy to clean the paint.

also don`t expect 100% fix with touch up. usually touch up pass 6 ft test but with a close inspection the touch up will be visible.
                          Yes ^ This scratch will always be noticable to you no matter how good the work may be. 99% of the population would never notice where it was after repair, but seeing that its your car, you will always notice it to a degree

The car is a 2010 Nissan Altima Coupe, and the color is Crimson Black (which looks like a purple-maroon color in bright light, or black at night). I know that a 100% repair is not available using touch-up paint, but I just want it to be as good as it can get. Do you have any idea of how much touching up the paint would cost based on my descriptions of the scratch? Thank You.
                          I was going to recommend that you could have the car "blended" This is where a good paint man can sand down and repaint just the area thats damaged. Pearl paints are the hardest to match however

When you ask how much. Are you asking how much for the touch-up repair only? I'm assumming so, but just wanted to make it clear

Comment

Yes, I was just wondering about how much the repair for the touch-up would cost. But now that you mention it, would you have any idea how much blending in the paint would cost, too? I imagine that it would be somewhat expensive to try to get the paint to match the surrounding area. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Yes, I was just wondering about how much the repair for the touch-up would cost. But now that you mention it, would you have any idea how much blending in the paint would cost, too? I imagine that it would be somewhat expensive to try to get the paint to match the surrounding area. Thanks for the help.
                              I could get it done here for around $350-$450. Saying that, I see so many things priced out of the range I would pay online that your price may be higher

You really got to have someone that knows what there doing performing this work or you will end up with a bigger mess then what you have now.

Go by a couple of upper end body shops and get an estimate. If you can catch on of the painters going to lunch, get his/her phone number

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');