• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help removings scratches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help removings scratches

Hi guys, I really need some help removing scratches. After detailing my car yesterday to find out that all the scratches are still there, I went out this morning to give it another shot. I tried on 3 different scratch locations. Using scratchx I applied around and wiped off around 3 times with no luck, so I resorted to uc. did 2 applies and wipe offs to each scratch location and still no luck, they are still there. These are not even scratches as bad as the ones the guys in the meguiars vids can fix, what am I doing wrong?

Thanks alot.

Re: Need help removings scratches

Are you working by hand or machine? What sort of pad are you using? Are you putting a little "passion" behind the pad (if working by hand)?

Did the UC make any improvement at all? It's pretty powerful stuff...
    Originally posted by Blueline
    I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

If you use your finger nail and move it over scratches, without getting it trapped there, you should be able to remove them. If however your fingernail gets trapped inside the scratches then they are too deep and you need to touch them up.

To remove scratches (or swirls) from clear coat you need to level surrounding paint to the level of the deepest scratch/ swirl. Leveling paint means removing a part of it. Therefore it's pretty hard to do it by hand and requires moderate pressure. Sometimes terry cotton applicator may be more effective than foam applicator. Also several applications may be necessary to fully level the paint surface.

If scratches are really deep they can be improved by rounding their sharp edges with aggressive product, like ScratchX 2.0 or Ultimate Compound.
      Machine polishing brings better and faster results in scratch/ swirl removal.

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys. I am using the yellow foam applicator pad. I do have a rotary buffer with a lambswool pad, should i try that?

Comment

I have a few cery serious scratches/ nicks in the paint and some on the black plastic bumper, how shall i fix this? Buy the right coloured touch up pen? Also a quick q on foam app pads and cloths. Obviously they get very dirty, what should you do after each use? Just wet and dry them or put em through the washer?

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');