• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'Ulimate Protectant' not performing, possibly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Ulimate Protectant' not performing, possibly?

Hey guys,

On our cars we use the Ultimate Protectant on the vinyl and plastic parts and it comes up looking great... the problem is as soon as it rains or water gets on them, once you dry the parts it looks as if the water has stained the plastic i.e. water streaks all over the areas that only a few hours before have had came up looking so good. Is this supposed to happen?

Cheers
    '69 Dodge Charger 'General Lee' (Smith Brothers Restoration)
    '00 White R34 GT-R V-Spec
    '04 Blacked-Out E55 AMG
    '03 Blacked-Out H2 Hummer
    '09 Blacked-Out ML63 AMG... + more

Re: 'Ulimate Protectant' not performing, possibly?

I have the same experience... First, I thought I applied it incorrectly, used it too much and did not use the right technique as described in the other thread about this product.

I gave it a second try, used only little amount of it and followed the technique (use the yellow foam pad and apply the product pretty much the same way you apply wax), but the result was again disappointing. It only looks great initially, but once waters get on them, the vinyl and plastics parts become stained and look blotchy.

FYI, I did not drive the car (it stayed in garage) for 4 days after the application, to ensure the product dried properly (not sure drying time is required but I did that on purpose just to see if it has any effects).

I'll give it a pass. The only MG products that let me down.

Comment

I don't have this kind of problem with it. On my car after the rain the black rubber trim on my window doesn't streak or blotchy. Altho it became matt black after the rain. Not as shinny as initial application. I applied it then wiping it again after +/- 10 minutes. I'll apply my tire dressing and clean my interior carpet and then I'll come back to do a final wipe on the window trim that I applied Ultimate Protectant.

Comment

IMHO, UQW seems to hold up better to the elements than UP. It looks equally as nice but seems to look good longer on my vehicles vinyl. YMMV.

I think this is one of the most versatile products Meg's make. You can use it on paint, chrome, glass and vinyl.
        Jim
        My Gallery

Comment

Ultimate Protectant is a little tricky. It needs a completely clean surface to bond to. If some other product is still present then it won't bond.

A quick clean up with All Purpose Cleaner to exterior elements would ensure that Ultimate Protectant's polymers attach to them strongly. APC+ would work as well.

Comment

I have 4 or 5 kinds of rubber/plastic on my car, some like dressing, some dont.

But one of the Mike's also explained the application is a bit different for UP. You want to work it in a little, not just wipe and walk away.
            2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Hi, just to add I did work it in a little, pretty much the same way I do when applying cleaner wax (gentle to moderate pressure). I did not give it a final wipe though as it is not required per Mike's advice.

the car was washed first and trims were cleaned too, though I did not use the APC cleaner, just the car's shampoo.

I guess this product does not offer easy application, and may be not suitable for some vinyl/plastic types.

Comment

I agree with Greg. There can not be any other product residue on the trim or UP will not adhere properly.
                Barry

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');