• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is this?

Just bought a used truck. Clear coat has alot of spotted places all over it. I've started buffing it with Ultimate Compound and it is slowing going away but you can still see it with light reflected on it. It is also on the glass. What is it and will 105 be my best solution in the end? What you see on the glass is what is on the paint.

Re: What is this?

I believe it is mineral spots from hard water and/or acid rain etching. I had the exact same thing on my '03 Ranger when I bought it 4 years ago. I removed it from the glass with a liquid rubbing compound by hand, 105 with a terry towel by hand should take it off the glass (protect the moulding and weather stripping with tape). I have yet to be able to remove it from my paint.

Comment

As above, they are water marks caused by mineral deposits from 'hard' water.
      For 'fresh' watermarks, you could try some vinegar to help remove it.
      If they're dried out and been there a long time, treat them the same as swirls or scratches - they'll buff out if they haven't penetrated deep enough into the clearcoat.

Comment

Your in for a long and tedious process but it can be done. Those spots would drive me nuts work in small sections

Comment

Thanks. I removed ALOT from the paint with the UC and orbital buffer. So I'll get some 105 and finish it off.

Comment

Yeah, you may not get all off, so dont go too crazy. Better to have a water spot than to get too thin.

You can UC/#105 the glass as well.
            2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I have a similar problem except it is on my chrome window trim and it is not responding to chrome cleaner. Any advice besides buy and install all new trim?

Comment

Chrome cleaner is pretty strong stuff. If that wont do it, unlikely much else would.
                2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Thank you sir. That's what I was afraid of.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');