• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need advice on proper steps / products Black Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice on proper steps / products Black Car

Ok so here it goes. I have recently acquired one of my dream cars (1995 BBB IMPALA SS) BBB is for Black. They car needs a REALLY GOOD Cleaning & detail both inside & out.

I have also just joined the CarISSMA Club (Carolinas IMPALA SS Motor Association) The first official Club event (Car Show) is a few weeks away. The paint is rough and is cobwebbed, and has several hard water spots in the paint along with what looks like some paint contamination in areas.

What products are recommended for that "COMPLETE / Perfect Show Car Shine"?

What correct steps / procedures should be used to accomplish the above?

I have used several Meguiar's products in the past and have had great results, but now looking for more........

I am trusting my dream car to your products, and knowledge. Please help

Re: Need advice on proper steps / products Black Car

You need to do Meguiar's 5-step process to achieve a show car shine:
    1. wash
    2. clean/ prep
    3. polish
    4. protection
    5. maintain.

After you wash your car claying would be recommended as well, between steps 1 and 2, to remove bonded contaminants which car wash left.

In step 2 you're gonna remove below surface defects: swirls and water spots, and level the paint. It's gonna require some paint removal so you need a product like Ultimate Compound.

Step 3 will add polishing oils to your paint, restore gloss and reflection. If Ultimate Compound leaves any side defects, due to its aggressiveness, like haze, micro-marring or small swirls, use a cleaner polish for this step - either SwirlX or Ultimate Polish. If after step 2 surface looks trouble free you could also use pure polish like Deep Crystal Polish or M07 Show Car Glaze.

Step 4 protection - because your vehicle is black I would suggest Ultimate Wax, Gold Class Carnauba Plus or M26 High Tech Yellow Wax for super wet look.

Step 5 - maintenance to keep show car look - Ultimate Quik Detailer and Ultimate Quik Wax would provide the muscle.

Meguiar's offers several exterior products for trims, vinyl and plastic, wheel cleaners, glass cleaners and tire dressings. The favorites would be: Ultimate Protectant (can also be used for interior), Endurance Tire Dressing, Next Glass Cleaner.

How are you going to do the detailing: by hand, using DA polisher or rotary buffer? I should have asked you that question at the beginning. The above recipe is pretty good for either hand or DA application.
    You can get even more aggressive using Meguiar's famous twins: M105/ M205 (excellent for RB).

I hope it helps.

Comment

Greg,
      thanks for the 411. I have been watching the videos, and understand the 5 step process but didnt know as to what products would work best for my situation.

I already have the Gold Class™ Car Wash Shampoo & Conditioner, and have been using that in my general wash routines. I also planned on purchasing the Smooth Surface Clay Kit.

When it comes to the Paint Cleaners that's where I am alittle confused, and dont want to purchase the wrong product(s)

After that I was planning on using either the DEEP CRYSTAL® SYSTEM POLISH or the CLEAR COAT SAFE POLISHING COMPOUND,followed by NXT Generation Tech Wax® 2.0

Comment

If you are working by hand, Meguiars clay kit is awesome!
        The Deep Crystal polish works great or you can use Swirl X.
        Follow up with 2 coats of NXT or 1 coat of NXT and 2nd coat of M26.
        Finish off in a day or 2 with a light spritz of Ultimate Spray Wax for some extra pop!

Check your finish first before starting so you can make sure you arent adding any swirls and if you already have excessive swirls,you might need something a little more aggressive like Ultimate Compound to start after claying.
        Also try your system on a 2x3 area or the trunk before doing whole car to see if you are happy with results.
        That is an awesome car,post some pics!!!

Comment

Here she is after a quick Gold Class Bath

Comment

Dang that didn't work to good now did it ????????

Comment

just a note no product that sits in a container can tell you what color a car is .....if it works on black it will work on red, yellow, etc.

the only exception are some higher end waxes are slightly pigmented to show easier on white or black cars.

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');