• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Claying Car - Do I have to use Quick Detailer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Claying Car - Do I have to use Quick Detailer?

I have always used QT to clay my car, but was curious if there is anything else out there I could use instead? Water? I apologize if this has been asked before.

Re: Claying Car - Do I have to use Quick Detailer?

Water alone typically does not provide for enough lubrication, but if you want something cheap and effective I highly recommend picking up a gallon of Last Touch. You can dilute it 50/50 with water and it makes for an excellent clay lube.

Comment

Water alone wont cut it. You will need to use some sort of lubrication for the clay to glide across the surface.
      Practice doesn't make perfect, the dedication to achieve perfection makes perfect. "Smack"
      2011 Jet Black 328i Touring
      2007 Jet Black 335i Sedan

Comment

You can also pick up a 32 oz. bottle of Optimum No Rinse. The clay lube ratio is 2 oz. per gallon which can make 16 gallons of clay lube...........
        Tedrow's Detailing
        845-642-1698
        Treat Yourself to that New Car Feeling

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Kleis View Post
          Water alone typically does not provide for enough lubrication, but if you want something cheap and effective I highly recommend picking up a gallon of Last Touch. You can dilute it 50/50 with water and it makes for an excellent clay lube.
          +1. Last Touch is my go-to Detailer line product. One gallon costs about $20 at most retailers and can be diluted 50/50 for clay lube or as a quick detailer. So for $20, you get two gallons as opposed to the $5 - $10 you would pay for most OTC 16 oz quick detail sprays.

Comment

QD isn't the cheapest option...I have a bottle of ONR and a jug of LT.....pretty cheap for either option....I look forward to claying my cars soon!! I might do a comparo later

I wouldn't use just water...if money is tight, i'd use a bit of car wash soap mixed with water...that should work too
            "STRIFE" aka Phil
            2005 Infiniti G35 Coupe (IP/ aka White) the Toy
            2011 Subaru Impreza (SWP/ aka White) the DD
            2017 Subaru Forester (CWP/ aka White) Wifey's

Comment

I use my wash water (the clean bucket) as a lubricant. There is no extra cost and it works well.
              Art Layton
              2009 Jetta TDI

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Kleis View Post
                Water alone typically does not provide for enough lubrication
                Wrong

Originally posted by smack View Post
                Water alone wont cut it. You will need to use some sort of lubrication for the clay to glide across the surface.
                Wrong

The majority of US sourced clay is sourced from Clay Majic who have a US patent (which I believe is soon to expire). IMO Clay majic sourced clay is poor.

To the OP, for about the last 5 years I've been using Bilt Hamber Autoclay which is designed to be used with just water. Sometimes I wash they dry then soak the car again, sometimes I just wash, jet off the suds and clay, but it's designed to be used with just water.

It's not the only one either.

Comment

The lubricant agent is more to provide some room to play with the clay, with plain water you have the risk of the clay stopping to quick on the surface therefore increasing the chance of losing the clay from your hands and falling to the floor, after that you are supposed to discard the clay.

Comment

Originally posted by Blazebro View Post

The majority of US sourced clay is sourced from Clay Majic who have a US patent (which I believe is soon to expire). IMO Clay majic sourced clay is poor.
                    On a side note, I agree with you that Clay Magic clay is not the greatest. However, I would be willing to stake money on Meguiar's clay NOT being from clay magic, as I have used both and they are completely different.

Comment

I myself no alot of people who just use water with no adverse effects... Me though, i just use a strong dilution of water and wash concentrate and have never had any dramas... last touch and quik detailer become an expensive option (as a professional) when your claying cars day in, day out!!

Comment

I believe the concern from Meguiars is that car wash soap can break down the clay, while the QD sprays will not.

So for a regular person who uses the clay and stores it for a few months, then uses it, soap may not be ideal.

For someone working daily with the clay, doesnt really matter.
                        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Thanks for all the info guys.

Comment

Originally posted by aerogt01 View Post
                            On a side note, I agree with you that Clay Magic clay is not the greatest. However, I would be willing to stake money on Meguiar's clay NOT being from clay magic, as I have used both and they are completely different.
                            There's going to be some agreement along the way. Maybe Clay Majic mill the Megs clay to Megs spec or maybe Megs pay a sum of Money to Clay Magic to allow them to produce clay, who knows

What I do know is that a law suit bought against Mark V from Clay Majic for copyright infringementsd, almost sent Mark V to the wall.

Luckily it's only a US copyright so we have some decent stuff in Europe and sorry but I don't really rate Megs clay either.

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');