• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

86 Grand Prix -single stage/lacquer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 86 Grand Prix -single stage/lacquer

I'm into my third year of detailing and still learning. I'm about to buy an 86 Grand Prix with original lacquer paint. The color is dark metallic blue The paint is in awesome shape but I'd like to remove minor swirls and scratches, and also give it a nice wax. Any suggestions on what products/tools to use? I tried a search but most of the threads were old and there is so many new products.
    Last edited by Dave's Detailing; Mar 2, 2011, 08:37 AM. Reason: added to post

Re: 86 Grand Prix -single stage/lacquer

#80 is still great for SS paint.

Thinking of working by hand or machine?
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I'd like to use DA

Comment

Well, there you go.. #80 and a polishing pad is a great place to start. Then #7 if you want even more polishing oils after.

Can always go a bit stronger if needed, but want to be careful of any thin areas and so forth.

Comment

M80 with yellow polishing pad should do the job.

You could always step up to M83 Dual Action Cleaner Polish if needed.

Do a test spot with M80 on small area, like 2'x2', and if you're happy with the results repeat through the entire vehicle.

Comment

Another vote for M80. It works great on SS paints. If you want to invest some more time and effort to really richen the color, you may want to aggressively rub in 2-4 applications of M07 first, then follow with M80. Read this article for more info:http://www.autotraderclassics.com/ca...sationId=21363

I've done the process on my El Camino with 24 year old SS lacquer and can testify to its effectiveness.

Bill

Comment

What product would be considered the next step if I needed to go stronger?

Comment

Bit of a toss up between #83 and Ultimate Compound.

UC would be much stronger, but more DA friendly.

#83 would be in the middle, possibly a little trickier to use, but also designed more for SS paint.

Comment

Thanks for all the great responses

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');