• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to do

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do

I have just painted and clear coated my first project . Fenders for my car . I was woundering what i should do if i should sand or wet sand the clear coat and buff and polish or if i could just wipe down with a clean cloth to get some of the settleing dust off and buff and polhish them ? Thanks

Re: What to do

I suppose that your clear is fully cured at this point. If so, you can wipe off the surface dust with just clean water, then wet sanded with 1500grit, then follow up with 2000grit, and 3000grit and/or 4000grit. Typically, if you buff the paint with M105, and wool pad with rotary buffer, you can stop sanding at 1500grit. Unless you want better shine out of your paint. I always well sand the clear coat with at least 2000grit. On dark color, or especially black, I more often go up to 3000grit or 4000grit.

If you are going to buff with DA or hand, you might want to wet sand to highest grit, then buff with compound. Otherwise, the surface of clear coat might look haze or cloudy. That was how my first project looks like

Comment

Re: What to do

Thanks stan .. I put two good medium coats of clear coat on and i had a couple little spots of dust and a couple little hairs fall in the clear as it all settled i want it to be clear and shine so how long should i wait to sand and buff the clear coat?

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');