• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

APC on Chrome Exhaust Tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• APC on Chrome Exhaust Tips?

I want to polish the chrome exhaust tips on my car. Is it OK to use APC on the inside to get a lot of the exhaust dirt out or should I use something else?

Re: APC on Chrome Exhaust Tips?

You know, to keep things simple when I'm washing the outside gets washed with my "lower" mitt the inside gets wiped with a wet rag that I seem to have plenty of during wash days. Then I just do a maint. polish careful of the application as I try not to scratch the outside. If any of that makes any sense. Saying all this my axle back exhaust is coming off for a real good polish here shortly. Heck, while I'm at it I'll drop the whole rear end and tackle all the rubber cushions and bump stops and polish/protect all the pieces as they are put back together.

Comment

APC is safe and will get some dirt off. I like steel wool #0000 or never dull. both are cheap and otc like 2 and 5 bucks. don't forget to clay and put some wax or sealant to keep them looking better for longer then wipedown once a week.

Comment

#0000 steel wool and some Hot Rims Metal polish for me...

You could try the APC, or a wheel cleaner, hard to say how much it will cut through. Your seem pretty clean inside.
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Can the steel wool be used on the outside of the pipe without scratching?

Comment

Mine are the brushed/shiny aluminum kind, and I use the #0000 steel wool and metal polish on the outside of mine with no issues.

Cant confirm anything for chrome, though that pic doesn't look a lot like chrome?
            2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

You could use the APC but it wont do much for inside the pipe.
              Nick
              Tucker's Detailing Services
              815-954-0773
              2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Sprayed some Megs Quik Wheel Detailer on a terry cloth towel and wiped the inside and outside. Buffed with MF towel and than used a little Megs Mag and Aluminum Polish. Like new. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Comment

I did stop and bought some #0000 steel wool and used that also. I love these forums, I keep learning new and better things everyday.

My wife is addicted to FaceBook and I am addicted to Meguiar's Forums.....

Comment

Originally posted by D307P View Post
                    I did stop and bought some #0000 steel wool and used that also. I love these forums, I keep learning new and better things everyday.

My wife is addicted to FaceBook and I am addicted to Meguiar's Forums.....
                    Instead of #0000 I go with never dull since it had polish and cleaners already in it. Works great for the inside of exhausts, then I always finish the job off with hot rims metal polish for the shine.

Great job on the exhaust. Many people forget to clean the inside, makes a big difference.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');