• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bug Guts !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bug Guts !

I will be heading to Florida soon and there is always a splatter of bug guts on the front end and the windshield by the time I get there.
    What's the best way to remove them without scratching the finish ?

Thanks,
    Elaval

Re: Bug Guts !

You can do things like putting a wet cloth or paper towel over them to soften them, then washing/QDing.

Another good option is to use a wet fabric softener sheet to remove them. Then wash/QD off the fabric softener remains.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

And for those stubborn ones you could use Gold Class Bug'N'Tar Remover:

Comment

+1 on the wet towel. Dealing mostly with motorcycle plexi-glass scratch-prone windshields for years, I always use a wet MF towel.

I run hot water into a bucket, soak a MF towel or two in it and place over the bugged area for 3-5 min. Almost all of them will spray off with the hose after being re-hydrated. If a lot are left, I repeat. Any stubborn bugs always wash away with car soap (I like Gold Class Shampoo), with no real effort.

Now, the bugs between your teeth after a ride are a whole different thread....
        The only reason some people get lost in thought... is because it is unfamiliar territory for them.
        --VoicesInMyHead--
        0101011101100101001000000100000101110010011001010010000001000111011001010110010101101011

Comment

^^ Agreed there, also a good layer of wax protection and regular washing will help avoid them sticking to the surface. Also if you see guts, start washing.

Comment

Yeah ,the Bug and tar removers are good, but will remove wax as well.

The other methods dont seem to affect the wax.
            2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

You can do things like putting a wet cloth or paper towel over them to soften them, then washing/QDing....
              Side note: if you use a paper towel to soften the bugz, do not wipe the finish with it. It will scratch.

Just soak it and let it rest on the bugz for a while to keep them wet. Then gently peel it up without rubbing on the paint.

pc.

Comment

Originally posted by VoicesInMyHead View Post
                ...Now, the bugs between your teeth after a ride are a whole different thread....
                I think Gold Class toothpaste and bug remover is planned for release in 2012.

Comment

If this is a regular drive and your concerned about rock chips and bugs, I would look into a clear bra being put on to the vehicle, it wont help the front windshield but it will help the front end of the car especially if its uni-color.

Another option that I have used is automotive masking tape. Before you lay down the tape just spray a layer of quick wax down. When you get to your destination just peal the tape off and hit it with a quick detailer. Good as new! It might look funny but you will save the front end of your vehice

Comment

Originally posted by VoicesInMyHead View Post
                    +1 on the wet towel. Dealing mostly with motorcycle plexi-glass scratch-prone windshields for years, I always use a wet MF towel.
                    +1

I learned this trick from an old skool biker.
                    The plastic motorcycle windshields scratch pretty easy.
                    Dried on bug guts can be real stubborn to remove.

This is the easiest and safest way I have found.

He would take a large towel and soak it in water.
                    Then he would drape the wet towel over the front of his windshield and let it sit about 15-20 minutes.
                    When you remove the wet towel the hardened dried on bug guts float right off.
                    This tip works just as well on paint. I softens the dried bug so they come off easily without scratching.
                    A Miracle Detailing - Merlin
                    YouTube - Facebook - Instagram

Comment

Thanks fellas, All great tips.
                      Especially with a new vehicle, now I'll be doing it the right way.

Elaval

Comment

Originally posted by the other pc View Post
                        I think Gold Class toothpaste and bug remover is planned for release in 2012.
                        Yummmmmmm
                        The only reason some people get lost in thought... is because it is unfamiliar territory for them.
                        --VoicesInMyHead--
                        0101011101100101001000000100000101110010011001010010000001000111011001010110010101101011

Comment

Originally posted by Merlin View Post
                          This tip works just as well on paint. I softens the dried bug so they come off easily without scratching.
                          Yup, Yup! If you don't rehydrate the little buggers (he he he), it's just like squirting some Quick Detailer on a spot of off-road mud and trying to wipe it away... paint scratch city!
                          --VoicesInMyHead--

Comment

A pressure washer at a safe distance will work well for the most part.
                            Nick
                            Tucker's Detailing Services
                            815-954-0773
                            2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');