• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hints & Tips On How To Repair Rock Chips.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hints & Tips On How To Repair Rock Chips.

Hi Guys,

My friend has filled around 20 rock chips on his hood of his Pearl Black Golf with a tooth pick. He has used the black pearl not the cc to fill the chips. A few are slightly raised and blobed on.

Im not a complete novice but would like a few pointers.

I have megs unigrit sanding paper 3000/2500/2000/1500. And a small pencil eraser.

The method i was thinking of following is:-

Check the paint depth to see how much paint I have to play with first.

I then plan to cut the paper into small strips and hold the paper either side of the eraser.

Let the paper soak in water with a small drop of gold class plus shampoo.

Put some water in a spray bottle with a small drop of gold class plus and use as a lube.

I will work the paper diagonally across the chip to avoid and debris getting under the paper and putting scratches into the finish. I plan to do around 10 to 12 strokes with the paper. And check my progress.

Megs rule of thumb least aggresive first. So I was thinking of trying 3000 grit first and seeing how I get on. maybe I need to step the grit up to 2500? Guys what do you think?

Once all chips are level to the surface I was thinking of using scratch x 2.0 on a megs soft foam applicator then following this up with U/C on my D/A?

Any hints or tips guys?

Many Thanks in advance, Looks like I have a busy w end ahead

Rappy

Re: Hints & Tips On How To Repair Rock Chips.

I think it might be more than one drop of soap, but not sure.

Either way, I would do one chip first before doing all and getting stuck.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Hi Murr,

I have said that unless there is plenty of paint I wont be wet sanding.

What is the min pain thickness you can wet sand 100 microns? I have wet sanded a few grp mouldings many years ago with a gel coat finish so I understand how time consuming it can be.

Also that car paint is a lot softer. Hence starting off with 3000 grit. On my own car I have filled them just slightly above the surface and wet sanded just lightly with 3000. Then I followed this up with my D/A using U/C and the results were great!!! My friends attempts are not so good. 90% look blobbed on .

Help guys please?

Comment

Friendly bump!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I have decided to do a step by step on the VW with pics. If anyone can add any hints and tips would be great.

Rappy.

Comment

Dr. Colorchip Road Rash Complete Paint Chip Repair Kit - Everything you need for a fast, simple, professional paint chip repair! Repair paint chips, certain types of scratches, and road rash professionally with Dr. ColorChip Paint Chip Repair ...
            Shane
            1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL

If you trim yourself to fit the world you'll whittle yourself away. - Aaron Tippin

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');