• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Horror Story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horror Story

Hey Guys man do I have a story. Some people might remember me talking on here the last few days about my 2005 Focus ST A rock slung up and took about an erasure size chip of paint out of my hood and left a small dent. I took it to the body shop of the dealer that I bought it from and they said they would add paint in layers heat gunning each for faster drying and then add clear coat, wet sand it then buff and polish my entire hood. Well I took it by there today to have the work done as the paint missing was bugging me on a car that is only 1 month old. Well I thought the guy was doing a good job and I must say the hood did not have one swirl anywhere in it but where the chip was he somehow burnt the finish of my hood. It looks like a half moon blackish spot and this is on a red car. Needless to say I was upset about it, the guy that did the work told me not to worry about any charge I think because he knew he screwed it up. Having bought 4 cars from there though I talked to the guy over the service and body shops and he told me he would have the body shop manager call me and set up a time to bring it in so that they can remove the hood and repaint it. They are also going to give me a rental as they said it would take a day or two. I was just trying to fix one little problem and this is what it turns into. Hopefully it will be better off being repainted and reclearcoated as I can start back from scratch. He wanted to just kind of blend it back in but I told him I think it would be better to just go ahead and do the entire hood.

Thanks for letting me vent

Kevin
    Last edited by kev4bama; Feb 16, 2005, 05:32 PM.

I feel your pain. I dread having any paint work done by a body shop because I have yet to see anything that comes even remotely close to factory paint.

Good news for you though. Red is one of the easiest colors to touch up. At least that's what the body shop people tell me.

RamAirV1
    2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
    2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

Sorry to hear that. I was getting hyped to see the pics. One thing is you don't have to worry about them swirls any more. Keep us posted and get some pics too.

Comment

Yeah I must say that is the one good thing they did, hood looked perfect except for the charred paint. I think he either wet sanded too hard, left the wool pad on that spot too long or left the heat gun in that spot too long. Whatever it was the hood will be sanded and repainted so then when I get it back I can slap on a coat of NXT and hopefully not have to worry about it.

Comment

Actually, after they paint it, you are going to need to wait before putting NXT on it for at least a month. To protect the finish you should use a glaze after the repaint such as #80, or #5 until the paint has cured.

Comment

Originally posted by travisdecpn
            Actually, after they paint it, you are going to need to wait before putting NXT on it for at least a month. To protect the finish you should use a glaze after the repaint such as #80, or #5 until the paint has cured.
            ^^True

...fortunately the body shop where I had my work done put the whole car in an oven and baked the finish so I can wax when I want...too bad mother nature is not cooperating
            Don
            12/27/2015
            "Darth Camaro"
            2013 Camaro ... triple black
            323 hp V6, 6 speed manual

Comment

Hi Kev

Good luck with the Hood/Bonnet mate. I had a Focus ST they seem to be prone to stone chips.

In some ways I guess its better it happen now while the car is new rather than later after the factory finish has faded slightly (red seems to be prone to this more than any other car) as it would be more difficult for the bodyshop to get an exact match.
              How often do you see a red car in a fuel station under the fluorescent lights and one door appears to be 'redder (is that a word) than the rest of the car?

All the best

Rob

ps will post up a couple of pics of my ST later - have you got any of yours?

Comment

Here you go.

My previous Car Focus ST170. Gold Class and Quick Wax were used (before NXT was available here).

Rob

Comment

Hi

Cool ST m8

Heres mine:

ScratchX
                  DC2
                  NXT

Dave
                  Focus ST170
                  Imperial Blue
                  Climate Pack & Spoiler (3dr)
                  Xenons and more...

www.allfords.net *Forum for all Fords

Comment

Hey Guys,

Well I am taking it in Monday to be painted. They said I could pick it up Wednesday and they are giving me a rental. They said they are going to blend the troubled area and then reclearcoat the entire hood. This makes me nevous as I told them that I want my car to have a mirror reflection at all times and look just as it did when I got the Car on December 27. He assured me it would. With all the paint being new maybe it wont be a problem. I will post some pics of it as soon as I can figure out how!

Kevin

Comment

I figured out how to post the picutres, see my post below, Thanks for the help Rob 66 !
                      Last edited by kev4bama; Feb 18, 2005, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Hi Kev

Taken the liberty of uploading your pic for you. Really easy just go to your gallery then...

the picture to enlarge.
                        the picture

Here we go, Thanks for the help!

Last edited by kev4bama; Feb 18, 2005, 02:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob66
                            Hi Kev

Taken the liberty of uploading your pic for you. Really easy just go to your gallery then...

the picture to enlarge.
                            the picture

No problem Kev - Thanks Scrub

Always liked red cars, we couldnt get the ST170 here in Red or Saloon, just 3dr or 5dr Hatchback. Like your wheels as well, I think one of the UK Mondeos has similar.

Slightly off thread but Ford showed the Pics of their new ST in the press today. looking good and 212bhp!!!!! about £19k in the Uk from Dec 05.

Off now to get some more NXT on my car before the forecast snow arrives on Monday.

Rob

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');