• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scratch X or Color X?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scratch X or Color X?

Alright....i know this is probably a stupid question for most of you guys, but if my car has minor swirl marks pretty much all over, would i be better off using Scratch X or Color X? There's not really any deep scratches on my car, just the annoying swirl marks only visible in the sunlight. I'm gonna be buying a bottle of either one this weekend, so hopefully you guys can guide me to buying the right one. I already have the NXT Wax to seal it, by the way.

Re: Scratch X or Color X?

Originally posted by cincybungle
    Alright....i know this is probably a stupid question for most of you guys, but if my car has minor swirl marks pretty much all over, would i be better off using Scratch X or Color X? There's not really any deep scratches on my car, just the annoying swirl marks only visible in the sunlight. I'm gonna be buying a bottle of either one this weekend, so hopefully you guys can guide me to buying the right one. I already have the NXT Wax to seal it, by the way.
    Hello cincybungle! Welcome to meguiarsonline.com! We're glad to have you aboard...

The key to answering your question is to understand both products.

ColorX is one of several 'One-Step' products manufactured by Meguiar's. This means that the product will not only help to remove some light oxidation and swirls, but it will also leave a protective layer (wax) that will protect the finish.

This product is not only an exceptional choice for neglected paints but also a great choice for someone that is experiencing what you've described; light swirls.

ScratchX is a great product that achieves many of the same outcomes as Color-X but, it doesn't offer a protective layer. In short, this product would have to be used in conjunction with another last step product (wax/sealant/etc).

So, in recap, if you want to go with Color-X, you can, potentially make it all work with only one or two applications. With Scratch-X, you will need to follow with a protective layer (ie: wax).

Both products work exceptionally well but both products have their own individual use.

If I were you, I'd go with the Color-X. I'd apply the product per the instructions and assess the finish after application. If it appears that you've achieved your goals, all is well. If after a couple of applications of Color-X you haven't, your swirls may be such that you need something that is slightly more aggressive; enter Scratch-X.

Meguiar's ALWAYS recommends going with the least aggressive product to achieve your goals.

I hope that helps out a bit. If you should have any additional questions, let us know!

RP
    -The Final Detail-
    Lagrange, Kentucky
    thefinaldetail@insightbb.com
    CLICK HERE TO VISIT MY GALLERY

Comment

Alright, it sounds like i'll be going with color x, but would it be pointless to use the NXT wax on my car after i've applied the color x? Like everyone else i'm trying to keep the shine as long as possible, so I was planning on waxing afterwards to seal the color x. Would this just be a waste of an hour or two? Thanks again for the quick replies.

Comment

Hello cincybungle:

Mike Phillips just answered a very similar question in this thread.

Check it out. I think that explains it...

It's definitely not a waste of a few hours in my opinion!

Be sure to take some before and after shots if you have a chance! We'd all love to see your work and outcome!

RP
        -The Final Detail-
        Lagrange, Kentucky
        thefinaldetail@insightbb.com
        CLICK HERE TO VISIT MY GALLERY

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');