• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Holograms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holograms

Dear master master of detailing, need ya'll help.

Recently ive been practicing on a black clear coated hood as im actually scared and worried when i detail black cars. Why? i fear the holograms....

So i decided to practice last night.
    My gears are,
    Makita 9227c
    Wool pad that came with the makita
    LC Yellow Cutting Pad
    LC white polishing pad
    M105
    Optimum Hyper Polish
    Optimum Hyper Compound
    and lots of MF towels

I started with the wool pad using M105, managed to cut off all the swirls and RIDs, had a deep clear gloss look, but under proper halogen lights holograms appeared. Makita Speed 1 spread to Speed 3 cut

So i decided to cut abit more by using LC Yellow cutting pad and Optimum Hyper Compound. Just a light pass and i check again. yes holograms minimized but it was still quite obvious when under halogen lights. Makita Speed 1 spread and Speed 3 cut

Then i moved on to LC White polishing pad with Optimum's Hyper Polish, did 1 pass on the test spot. Makita Speed 1 spread, speed 2 polish, then back to speed 1 to finish. My polishing technique was moving inch by inch left to right following the makita spinning direction --> then complete left to right i moved to up to down. it was a very systematic and straight foward polish. Then i wiped off the remaining product.

Between each compound i washed with ONR No rinse wash, after compounding i washed it again before i applied any polish. After i polished i check for holograms and they reveal again. Did i miss something here? Im sure my posture and my pad was flat downas i constantly checked when i am polishing or cutting.

then after seeing holograms still remain, i decided to try to polish again with a smaller working area. before was inch by inch, now i tried to polish half inch by half inch. but still smaller holograms appear.

please advice me..

After some research i realise i need a finishing pad. but previously when i detailed another test there was no holograms...am i doing something wrong or is my pad's problem or my posture?

much advice would be welcomes and
    My Detailing Blog, sharing u my journey..

Re: Holograms

I recently posted a thread on this issue too.

It sounds like you need to use a polishing pad, because your technique sounds right. Also make sure you prime the pad with a little QD before you start using the product.

Take a look at this thread I posted since it covers what you are asking.

I once put swirls in my paint just to see what it looked like.

I don't always detail cars, but when I do, I prefer Meguiar's.
    Remove swirls my friends.

Comment

something to keep in mind, Meguiar's preaches the use of a "system" or "line" or products because they are originally developed to be used in that manner, and when things go wrong it makes it easier to identify issues and offer solutions.

Also, Meguiar's staff most likely won't have much experience with Optimum branded products, so maybe give M205 a shot and then check back if that doesn't clear the holograms up as it should.

We can offer more tips and hints about products we are familiar with

Comment

Well you certainly didn't start with the least aggressive method and work your way up in this case .... It might be that your first step of wool and 105 was worse than you think and left some pretty bad swirls and the subsequent steps didn't correct them
        Do an ipa wipdown and try the polish around 1200 with no pressure medium pace then knock it down to 900 with no pressure at a snail pace

Comment

Its possible you are using the wrong machine for the job....
          2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Thanks for the tip Mr. AndrewC and Mr.fredcandetail, i will give ur technique a try.

as for Mr murr1525, im using a makita 9227c rotary and i believe some pros are famillier that it is possible to get a flawless finish with a rotary but its very hard to master, but if u sucessfully master the makita hehehe then i would say its kindof godlike?

Comment

try a LC black pad to polish with and you also may need to do more than just 1 pass. and like stated before you started very aggressive. you should have started with at most LC orange pad. also i never use the pad that comes with whatever machine i buy. there is usually a reason they give away the pad with a buffer/DA. usually the pad is not good quality. not always but usually. are you moving up to the rotary from a DA? if this is the first time you have used a machine to buff/polish you should have started with a DA. that way you can get use to how the polishes will look when they are fully worked as well as how the paint will look after each step. this would have given you minimal risk of induceing any damage to the paint.

Comment

nop, i stated on a rotary and will want to master only the rotary as it is the hardest to master, and i take it as a challenge. LC Black pad i see. i will look into this...

THanks for the tip mr stephens

Comment

I suppose you may be looking at it from a different side than we might normally...

If you want to do what is best for the paint, then that would be starting off as mild as possible. A rotary would be a last choice, esp for a perfect finish on soft black paint.

If you just want to learn the machine as well as possible, then yeah, adjusting the pad, technique, etc.
                  2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by s1tl View Post
                    nop, i stated on a rotary and will want to master only the rotary as it is the hardest to master, and i take it as a challenge.
                    You said it yourself. It's difficult to "master" the rotary, but the rotary is not always called for. Nowadays, there are products that can be used with a dual action polisher, which is much safer and takes a lot less time to "master," which will give you just as good of results that you are seeking with a rotary. You wouldn't use a sledge hammer to drive a finish nail. You don't always need to reach for the rotary to remove light swirls or defects.
                    If you want to do what is best for your paint, try what is preached on this site over and over; use the least aggressive method first.

Comment

Originally posted by s1tl View Post
                      nop, i stated on a rotary and will want to master only the rotary as it is the hardest to master, and i take it as a challenge. LC Black pad i see. i will look into this...

THanks for the tip mr stephens
                      that is like saying when you first learn to drive you want to jump into a 10,000 horsepower funny car first time you ever drive and then never drive anything else. there is an old saying that applys here pretty good i think. " have to learn how to crawl before you walk and have to learn how to walk before you run"

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');