• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cleaning Tape Glue Residue Off of Dash?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning Tape Glue Residue Off of Dash?

I recently bought a 2002 Mazda RX7.

It had some non-working aftermarket gauges on the dash, attached by black foam double-sided tape.

After I removed the gauges, it has some thin whiteish glue residue from the double sided tape left on the dash surface.

What Meguiar's products can I use to clean this thin whiteish glue reside off of the dash?

Should I use anything after cleaning the glue off to restore and protect the dash surface?

Some people have recommended kerosene or mineral turpentine to clean the residue off of the dash, but that sounds way too harsh.

Thanks.

Re: Cleaning Tape Glue Residue Off of Dash?

I'm more or less thinking outloud...I'd try kerosene or paint thinner first. That's gonna be the more 'gentle'. if that won't do, maybe some lighter fluid (naphtha). I found a 'citrus based' remover that removed even cured silicone caulk, it was really pretty mild.

Find a hidden spot to try first, just in case whatever you use may do more harm than good.

Maybe even WD-40? I'm trying to stay with petroleum product...like product for like product. There are some really 'hot' products that remove it, but (guessing here) probably melt the dash.

Like I said just thinking out loud.

Keep us posted on what you find.

Bill

Comment

Re: Cleaning Tape Glue Residue Off of Dash?

Or some APC, Goo Gone...
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');