• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paint Haze?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint Haze?

07 Cadillac DTS Raven Black
    Used UC which got rid of my swirls and small scratches.
    Followed up with UP and Gold Class Carnauba paste wax.
    Car looks good, BUT it looks somewhat hazed as if you were looking at the finish through glass that has smoke on it. Best I can explain.
    Any ideas would be welcomed.
    Thanks

Re: Paint Haze?

How are you applying your polishes, by hand or by machine?
    Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
    --Al Kimel

Comment

Porter Cable 7346 sp.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark58 View Post
        Porter Cable 7346 sp.
        What buffing pads/ speed setting did you use with each product?

If UC left some haze UP should have cleared it all up.

Comment

Good questions Greg. I've only done one Caddy and the paint was very hard. Pads and speeds will make a huge difference. At least in my limited experience.

"fishing for swirls in a sea of black"
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          David

Comment

Originally posted by greg0303 View Post
            What buffing pads/ speed setting did you use with each product?

If UC left some haze UP should have cleared it all up.
            UP on a finnishing pad will clear up any haze left by UC.

Like Greg said we need to know what pads and settings you used for each step.
            Practice doesn't make perfect, the dedication to achieve perfection makes perfect. "Smack"
            2011 Jet Black 328i Touring
            2007 Jet Black 335i Sedan

Comment

yellow with UC and black (grey) with PC at medium speed #3 I think

Comment

Originally posted by Mark58 View Post
                yellow with UC and black (grey) with PC at medium speed #3 I think
                Mark, was it yellow heavy cutting Lake Country pad?

Comment

Hmmmm.

I would have thought that UP would have removed any hazing left behind by the UC.

Hmmmm.

As intimated by greg0303 and wifpd4, we may be looking at a technique problem (choice of pad? speed? pressure applied? etc.).

Time to work on a TEST SPOT.
                  Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
                  --Al Kimel

Comment

Originally posted by greg0303 View Post
                    Mark, was it yellow heavy cutting Lake Country pad?
                    Lake Country CCS Yellow pad for UC and Black pad for UPolish. speed same on both about medium.
                    It took lot of work to get " DEALERS DETAIL" work to get swirls out.

Now don't get me wrong it looks better then some new cars in showroom, but I can see slight haze and I am aware it's me and not the product. LOL

Comment

I always use speed 5 when I use either Ultimate Compound or M205. And that's on soft Honda paint!
                      --Al Kimel

Comment

That's how it looks to me:

UC with yellow pad left some haze, maybe orange light cutting pad would have finished better (as Al said, test spot can confirm that) and then black finishing pad with UP wasn't aggressive enough to clear it all up, white polishing pad probably would be a better choice. Also UC speed was little too slow, 4-5 is a recommended range.

Do you have white polishing pad?

Comment

Yes I do and I will give it a test. I was afraid of going to fast since I screwed up my last 2001 caddy.

Comment

I think your yellow lake country pad was to aggressive to accomplish what you needed and you should have done a 3 step correction to properly finish it out or have used a less aggressive pad for the UC and finnished with the UP on a finnishing pad.
                            Practice doesn't make perfect, the dedication to achieve perfection makes perfect. "Smack"
                            2011 Jet Black 328i Touring
                            2007 Jet Black 335i Sedan

Comment

You'll be fine, Mark.

Test spots are really a great way to dial the right product/ pad combination.
                              Give white polishing pad a try with UP on small area to see if it works well on your Caddy. If it does you have to re-apply your wax unfortunately. UP has some cleaners.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');