• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please help! Can't remove swirls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help! Can't remove swirls

Okay, here's my situation. I have a brand new 2011 black Jeep Wrangler. A few days ago I picked up a scratch on my door. I used ScratchX 2.0 to try to get it out. Afterwards, I noticed a circular haze around the scratch full of tiny compacted swirl marks.

After reading for hours on here, I bought some UC, UP, SwirlX, and Tech Wax 2.0. I washed my Jeep well and I first tried to use the SwirlX. However, that made it worse. The swirl mark spot that was before the size of a half dollar turned into a spot full of swirl marks the size of a dollar bill.

I then tried the UC on area around the spot about 8" x 8", and that only left me with swirl marks within that area. So now a spot that was originally the size of a half dollar is now about 8" x 8".

I am doing this by hand with a foam applicator and microfiber towel.

What am I doing wrong??

Re: Please help! Can't remove swirls

You need to use a separate clean foam applicator with each product to prevent a product cross-contamination.

When you used ScratchX 2.0 on your door was the area clean? Quick detailer with microfiber towel should be enough to prepare it. If the surface was dirty you could have picked up some stuff and inflict swirls. All it takes is even a little tiny piece to do it.

Your experience with UC sounds like you have micro-marring, short multi-directional scratches. If you don't work UC long enough there's no polishing step triggered and paint is left hazed or micro-marred.
    Another possibilities would be warm surface or delicate clear coat. Black paint can reach high temperature while exposed to sun very quickly. Delicate paint can react forming haze or small scratches after compound treatment.

Try to go over the affected area with UP to see if it can restore it.

This could be your case as well:

Comment

How long should I work the UC into the paint?

I only have one foam applicator right now. Would a terry cloth applicator be OK?

Comment

Not all micro fiber towels are created equal.....cheap ones will mar your paint if it's soft
        Black......the ONLY color!

Comment

You would want to use foam, not terry.

Did the main scratch come out?

Give the Ult. Polish a try, and you may need to try working it with a lot of passion, and try a spot working it more gently.

If the applicator is clean and whatnot, and hte UC left marks, it does sound like you are going the wrong direction by getting more agrressive.
          2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Yes the main scratch came out.

I think I will start the process over using your guys' suggestions. I will clean my foam pad and start with SwirlX and then try the polish and then the UC again if the others don't do it.

Comment

You want to try the least aggressive method and product first and check your results. If SwirlX is making the finish hazy, Ultimate compound will most likely make it worse whereas it is more aggressive.

Comment

Alright fellas. I got about 80% of them out and that's good enough for me now. I wiped the area down with Ultimate Quik Detail and applied SwirlX with a clean foam applicator.

I'm going to order some foam pads from Meg's and give it another round this weekend to see if I can get it looking even better.

Thanks for all the help. This forum rocks.

Comment

Sounds like a start.. try milder again next time then.
                  2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');