• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Power Washers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Washers?

Being fairly new to detailing (1 year), I have given some thought to purchasing a power washer. Do any of you use them? I would assume that they would not be the best thing to use on a well detailed vehicle. My shelves are loaded with Meguiars products and I couldn't be happier. Any input you can offer is appreciated.

Re: Power Washers?

I have a Stanley electric power washer that I use on all of my vehicles without hesitation. From what I've seen, they are very popular with pro detailer. I love mine for pre-wash rinses. It really takes off the dirt, grime, and especially the brake dust.

Get this one from Lowes for ~$170 to make me jealousy.

Comment

Personally I think power washers are overkill for someone that's only doing their own car - it gets to be a pain to drag out the machine, gas (or electric cords), two sets of hoses, etc. and then put it all away again when you're done. That also means another machine to store, maintain, and accessorize.

With that being said, I can see where it would be nice to have one when you live in snow country and want to do underbody rinses or have other uses for it like cleaning a deck/patio, siding, and the like around the house.

Comment

Thanks-- The one I am considering is at Costco and it's a gas 2600 psi for $299. My concern was even at a reduced pressure it might just strip off the wax and then all the hard work has been for nothing,

Comment

The same arguments are made about paint sprayers. The problem I find is that you still need to use a washing mitt (or paint brush if you are painting) to remove grime and dirt from the car's finish (or to "push" paint into the surface you are painting).

Best use if for a rinse. IMHO, it seems a lot of money to replace using a hose.
          Art Layton
          2009 Jetta TDI

Comment

Originally posted by boiler7904 View Post
            I can see where it would be nice to have one when you live in snow country and want to do underbody rinses.
            Living in Pa my entire life, I use a pressure washer to clean undercarriages every spring. Pressure washers are also nice for final rinses, and several guys on here like them in conjunction with foam guns. But, that being said, I would not invest in one just for typical washing, IMO.
            "Cars make great banks but they don't pay interest"

Comment

I love using my pressure washer.

Mine is a gas unit.

I love using it on floormats, undercarriages, engines, etc.
              Nick
              Tucker's Detailing Services
              815-954-0773
              2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Originally posted by Tuck91 View Post
                I would be afraid of forcing water into the electrical components within the engine bay. Do you cover sensors, ECMs, and alternators with plastic first? The floor mats is a great idea. I'll have to try that next time.
                "Cars make great banks but they don't pay interest"

Comment

You know, those things look like they could chip away paint if a user gets too close with the nozzle.
                  r. b.

Comment

Originally posted by dougbthom View Post
                    Thanks-- The one I am considering is at Costco and it's a gas 2600 psi for $299. My concern was even at a reduced pressure it might just strip off the wax and then all the hard work has been for nothing,
                    PSI isn't the best/only measurement to look at. Gallons per minute is key too...After all high pressure with low volume isn't worth much. Also look for one with a thermal cutoff. This saves the pump if you let it run without the water flowing..

Comment

Mine is a gas unit.

I love using my PW, a 2600psi gas unit.
                      2018 Subaru Outback 3.6R Touring - Crystal White Pearl

Comment

Mine is a gas unit.

dido!!!!!!!!! hahah it makes washing fun!!

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');