• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pressure washing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pressure washing

This spring, i'm finally gonna be getting a pressure washer. I'm gonna use it mainly for my car, but also for misc. jobs around the house. I've been looking at a brand called Karcher."I think that's the brand name?" But anyways, would anyone recommend a certain brand and/or maximum psi needed for light/moderate jobs. If i spend 250 or 300 dollars, i'd like to get one that i'm satisfied with, so any input would be appreciated.

I've never used pressure washers much in my life except when renting real heavy duty models for really touch jobs. I know Tim aka 2hotford has been real happy with his Honda model, I'm sure he'll chime in with his two cents.

Mike
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Hey,

My pressure washer is made by BE, and is powered by a Honda 5 Hp motor.

The key is to buy a heavier duty model. While other cheap washers may claim a high PSI, they will not last. The other reason to buy a better model is the pump. You want a heavy duty pump. Water running through the pump keeps the pump cool. You can only leave a pump run for a few minutes without water being sprayed. Otherwise, you will damage the pump. The better pumps will handle far more abuse than a cheap model.

The other thing is to buy replacement tips. I like the 40, and 25 degree tips. These will provide more than enough cleaning power without getting into the dangerous narrow degree tips.

Cheers!

Tim
      Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

I once bought a Karcher 1500 psi model #( i forget)
        the internal seal blew after 3 uses,maybe it was a defective model
        but it did a good job for light duties around the home and auto.
        "always somethin"

Comment

So, will it be possible to spend under $300 to get a good all around pressure washer? I really don't need anything very extravagant b/c i'll mostly be using it on my car......btw do they all come with the option of having a detergent resevoir? I'd definitley need one that can pump out things such as shampoo for the car and cleaning chemicals for my house.

Comment

I recently purchased a Husky 1750 PSI electric pressure washer. It's more than adequate for cleaning cars, but not so powerful that it could do damage. It has a built-in soap resovior, adjustable fan width and adjustable pressure. Haven't had any problems w/ it so far (about 3 months). Highly recommended.
            1999 Ford Contour SVT
            Silver Frost/Midnite Blue
            1966/2760

Comment

Hey,

The reason I suggested the heavier duty model is that the components will last a lot longer. For example, the wand is a critical component. A good one will have the ability to switch tips for different degree spray patterns. Tips do wear out. As such, you just replace the tip etc... . But these washers start at around $450.

But, if all you plan on doing is using it occasionally, the model mention above by mike_svt may be all that you need. It really does come down to planned usage.

My pressure washer is now 3 years old and going strong. I have hundreds of hours on it without a problem. So again, it depends on how much you plan to use it etc.

Tim
              Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

I have two Karcher Pressure washers, one bigger(1700psi, variable) in the countryside house and one smaller(1450psi) in the garage in town. They are both great and easy to move around. The smaller one weighs only 5kg.
                You can change the wand, there are plenty of options. They really help remove the dirt before you touch the paint, this way eliminaiting scratches

Comment

I'm assuming the two you have are electric? That's just a guess, but i was looking more at gas powered washers, and as i said, i won't only be using it for my car. I figured somewhere around 2000 psi wouuld be enough for other projects around the house too, but i'm still new to pressure washing. Can someone point me in the right direction on where to buy one under 300 bucks?

Comment

Yes that's right they both are electric,i haven't seen gas powerd once, but sounds like they are more Heavy Duty. The 1700 can do everything i want depending on which wand i use, i've got a rotary wand wich is very powerful.

Comment

Originally posted by cincybungle
                      I'm assuming the two you have are electric? That's just a guess, but i was looking more at gas powered washers, and as i said, i won't only be using it for my car. I figured somewhere around 2000 psi wouuld be enough for other projects around the house too, but i'm still new to pressure washing. Can someone point me in the right direction on where to buy one under 300 bucks?
                      Here is one for 250 its the closest thing I could find:
                      249 unit at northern

If you are willing to jump up to $400 I think you might find a heavier duty one.
                      399 unit at northern

or hit up Home Depot:
                      my father has this one, its a great little unit for $388 and it has a honda engine, if you watch around might find a %10 offf coupon in the paper migth get you closer the the magic 300. I have used this on the car once or twice but he uses it aroud the pool, on the deck and so on, has plenty of power for projects.

Here is one for 299 at the depot:

I cant get the home depot pages to link here so just go to www.homedepot.com and search for "power washers" and the two above should show up.

I might lean to home depot just personal pref.
                      Last edited by gb387; Feb 28, 2005, 06:52 AM.
                      Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
                      Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Thanks, gb387. I think i probably will get one of the home depot washers. I appreciate the help.

Comment

Yeah... I like to stick with the big chain stores when buying something that may need parts in the future. The thinking is that it might make it easier to find parts. Home Depots power washers are Excell/DeVilbiss and they have their own direct parts line. You hope you don't need parts but you never know.

I was just on Porter-Cables web site and they now have their own line of power washers. not sure on the price but here is a link to the ones they have: Porter Cable Power Washers.

If you really started to dig I would imagine that there is only a couple companies making power washers but selling them under all kinds of names. That is what I found when I recently bought an air compressor.

Good luck, hope you find one you like.
                          Last edited by gb387; Feb 28, 2005, 11:21 AM.
                          Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
                          Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');