• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fine scratches on windshield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fine scratches on windshield

I need to remove some small scratches on the front windshield of a brand new car. The scratches are from a scotch pad (green side). My friend tried to remove some bug guts with the pad. I have a DA with 80 and 83 products. I did a search and found out that the DA will not remove the scratches. The scratches are not deep, but you can see them at different angles. There are only a few of these spots. Will scratch X by hand (terry cloth) work? What steps should I take including the final steps after the scratches are removed?

Also, do they put a protective coating on new vehicles? My friend said he paid extra to have some type of coating from (Honda). He doesn't know what type or where the coating was applied.

Thanks in advance

Re: Fine scratches on windshield

The best explanation about glass hardness is that it's 10 times harder than paint. Therefore working by hand will result in minimal to no improvement.

In most cases to remove scratches from glass requires a glass cutting disc. Rotary buffer would be a preferred tool but creating a lot of heat may results in permanent shape change of glass that's why caution is required.

Special products for glass scratch removal can be found on web. ADS and AutoGeek both have them.

New cars can be protected by several coating but the clear bra seems to be the most popular one.

Comment

Thanks for the input. I tried search for products. It seems like cerium oxide is used a lot, but I do not feel comfortable doing it myself. I don't have a rotary, so he will probably have to take it to a shop. Will trying ScratchX do any harm? I'm guessing that it wouldn't. Would it be better to take it to an automotive glass shop or a detailer?

Comment

ScratchX by hand will remove water spots and clean the glass but it's not strong enough to remove scratches. You needed something much stronger to remove enough glass to level the scratches.

Even with a rotary buffer deep scratches may still be visible. Glass is very stubborn.

Glass & Windshield Care - If youve ever let your windshield and windows go without a good wash for a while, isnt it amazing how clear and crisp everything looks once you get around to cleaning them? Keeping sparkling windows on your car is ...

Comment

OK. Thanks

I'm not going to try scratchx. There might be a protective coating on the glass. I don't want to mess with it and have my friend say I made it worse. I didn't know glass was that soft. I didn't think it would scratch from a scotch brite pad.

Comment

Originally posted by radkonn View Post
            Also, do they put a protective coating on new vehicles? My friend said he paid extra to have some type of coating from (Honda). He doesn't know what type or where the coating was applied.

Thanks in advance
            Dealer love selling this for $300. You I sell it applied for $100

Comment

Can a D/A with any compound/polish/pad combo do a decent job on it? I also have cerium oxide, but no rotary in my arsenal. thx

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');