• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Questions about Matte Black wheel cleaning & the new D/A System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about Matte Black wheel cleaning & the new D/A System

So the weather is finally warming up and somewhat staying above not so winter-like temperatures and I will be prepping to get rid of the swirls and the beating the car took over the winter. I see there is now a D/A Microfiber Correction System.

I know I'll obviously need to wash and clay the car first, then follow with D300 and then D301, but then is it also an option to use some polish after that?
    I know I have the Deep Crystal® System Polish bottle laying around alongside, the UC, m105 and other stuff. Or will the D301 be good enough?
    I believe I should also mention I have the meguiars v2 d/a

Last time I detailed my car I spent a good, total of about 12-14 hours mostly using UC & m105, and some spots by hand using the rubbing compound & this looks like it might cut my time down significantly.

Onto the next question, what would a suggested product be for cleaning matte black wheels? Mine just don't seem to as black as they should be. Still have some of that brownish brake dust left-over on them even after washing. Any suggestions? They are again, flat/matte black.

Here is the car in question:

(sorry for the not so-spanking-clean car)

Thanks in advance.

Re: Questions about Matte Black wheel cleaning & the new D/A System

There are several ways to use the Microfiber System:

1)Use D300 followed by D301 as a two-step process
    2)Use D300 followed by D301 followed by your favorite wax for a three step process
    3)Use D300 followed by a polish of your choice (M205, Ultimate Polish, etc.) and then finish with a wax of your choice (i.e. Ultimate Wax)

One you use D301, you should not use Deep Crystal Polish. D301 lays down a layer of protection therefore rendering a pure polish ineffective as it would simply sit on top of the wax. This is beneficial when going to a car show to give the car that extra glow but for daily drivers, the pure polish would wear off very quickly because it wasn't sealed into the paint.
    Tedrow's Detailing
    845-642-1698
    Treat Yourself to that New Car Feeling

Comment

I just ordered the new D/A system and I'll be doing the D300, the D301, followed by a coat of Ultimate Wax applied by hand.

Comment

for the wheels, clay bar should work well to clean them if regular washing isn't removing the built up dirt, assuming the wheels are painted/powder coated.
        Joel
        1976 Cutlass S
        2001 PT Cruiser
        1990 454SS
        Suburban

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. Going to be putting down the order along with some other stuff

Comment

Pressure washing the wheels also helps, if you have access to one.
            Composers shouldn't think too much, it interferes with their plagiarism. -- Howard Dietz

Comment

Matte Wheel Finish

If polished with traditional polishes the finish will become less matte and glossier over time;
              do not wet-sand or use conventional wax or use an automatic car wash that uses hot wax in the final rinse, as the flattening agents that cause the matte appearance will become ‘levelled ‘The textured finish is accomplished by a diffused 30 degree reflection and are retained very close to the clear coat surface. By levelling the surface the light will be reflected evenly and result in a ‘shine’.

Use a machine polisher and an ultra soft, zero abrasive cut (100 PPI) foam pad) with a mild chemical paint cleaner it will remove surface marring and leave it satin matte. Use a clear polymer, the key is to add surface protection and depth without adding gloss.

Swisswax Opaque products for Matte or Satin Finish paint and have been specifically developed (oil free) to ensure that they don’t change the appearance of matte or satin paint.

1. Remove any sintered brake or rail dust contaminants with a suitable cleaner
              2. Wash surface with Swisswax (SV) Opaque Car Bath
              3. Prior to wax application the wrap needs to be totally free from oils and dirt. Clean all wrapped surfaces with SV Opaque Pre-cleaner.
              4. Spray a 100% cotton micro fibre towel and apply to one panel at a time.
              5. Wipe off with a clean 100% cotton towel
              6. Apply SV Opaque Wax to one panel at a time, this wax will provide depth without adding a shine
              7. Allow to dry for 10 minutes before buffing off and moving to the next section.
              8. After the wax has out gassed and set-up, allow 2-3 hours and then buff the surface with a soft 100% cotton micro fibre towel
              9. Use Quick Finish Opaque as a quick detailer to remove finger marks and smudges
              ~ Providing unbiased advice that Professional and Enthusiast Detailer’s Trust ~ Blog – http://togwt1980.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');