• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Magnesium chloride vs. Black paint in co!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magnesium chloride vs. Black paint in co!!!

New to these forums, hoping you all can help me with a serious concern with my 2010 Nissan Xterra "S" Model in Super Black.
    I have lived in Colorado for 8 months. I am just finishing my first winter here. The snow is awesome and 100% not my problem. What is my problem is the MAGNESIUM CHLORIDE they put on the roads here! Disgusting! It appears to be "adhereing" to my rear hatch door and that is worrying me. If I run my fingers over it I can feel the little bumps in the paint.
    I have not had the chance to hand wash the car yet as it just KEEPS snowing but here is my plan.
    1. Hand wash a couple of times with hot water to see if that removes any of the Mag Chloride...
    2. See if that helps.
    3. If that doesnt help will theCLAY BAR SYSTEM help or do I need professional help...?
    4. If I do need professional help what can be done?

Any advice you all can give me would be HUGELY helpful. I am a nerd about keeping my truck clean and waxed. I am very very used to winter weather and its affects on a vehicles paint but what Colorado is throwing at my beautiful truck is evil and bummin me out. Thanks for any help!

Re: Magnesium chloride vs. Black paint in co!!!

I would start like you said with a good wash, probably with warm water and see where that gets you. Then clay bar to remove any remaining bonded contaminates and follow with your favorite wax.
    Joel
    1976 Cutlass S
    2001 PT Cruiser
    1990 454SS
    Suburban

Comment

That is certainly where I woould start. You would likely also want to follow the clay with something like SwirlX.

Then waxing, etc after.
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I've lived in Colorado all my life and the Mag Chloride *****.

You're going to want to do a good hand wash with the two bucket method. This really isn't going to do a lot to the mag chloride that has bonded strongly to the paint but will give you a nice clean base to start with.

Next move to the smooth surface clay kit to remove the above surface defects which should be a majority of your mag chloride right there.

Follow up with a paint cleaner, start with Ultimate polish on a test spot and see if that brings the paint up to your satisfaction. If not try Ultimate compound to fully clean the paint. Finish polishing with a pass of Ultimate polish if you stepped up to the Ultimate Compound.

Apply your favorite wax for protection such as Ultimate wax or NXT 2.0.

Comment

I feel your pain. My car is obsidian black and my wife's is crimson black and both are daily drivers. There are often white in the winter. We often couldn't wash due to the low temperatures, which I'm sure you've struggled with too.

We don't have a heated garage, so if the car washes are open I would take a screw lid bucket filled with warm water and rinse the cars using the car wash rinse cycle then hand wash with Gold Class or Ultimate Wash and Wax. Then rinse again, followed with Ultimate Quik Wax while drying. I'm lucky the local car wash is the last to close due to cold and the doors open and close automatically when pulling in.

We try to get the paint corrected in the fall and a good coat of wax on before the snow starts. Knowing fully well its for naught when they start using granular salt or brine and sand.

I finally found a heated place to rent to wash and wax in the winter and we do it often. No corrective work in the winter. Was using M21, now using Ultimate Wax.

"fishing for swirls in a sea of black"
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          David

Comment

Must be a city thing. We don't use mag chloride down here in God's Country.

Colin
            A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Comment

Originally posted by cnfowler View Post
              Must be a city thing.
              Actually it's a state thing. Colorado DOT uses this stuff on state roads & the interstate. Really wrecks everything that moves.

Comment

Removing Salt from Paint Surfaces

Road salt is difficult to remove from vehicle paint surfaces as many State authorities use an additive based on molasses, a bye product of the sugar refining industry, along with the salt solution to ensure it adheres and is therefore more effective. Use a high pressure hose (Power wash) the wheel wells and undercarriage, and allow to dry. Spray the affected area (s) with Eastwoods Road Salt Neutralizer a high performance rust-preventive coating designed for application directly on rusted metal surfaces; apply thin coats and allow each coat to thoroughly dry

Waterless polymer based systems, like Optimum no rinse (ONR) does not require pre-wetting the surfaces, it’s a combination of polymers and surfactant cleaners that encapsulate and safely remove salt, dirt and grime and leave a glossy protective finish. The polymers and surfactants used in these no rinse washes have the capability to bond to dirt particles and act as a barrier between the dirt particles and the paint. The salt, grime and dirt are then trapped in the surfactant, protecting the paint finish with no need to use a large amount of water to flush the dirt off the vehicle
                ~ Providing unbiased advice that Professional and Enthusiast Detailer’s Trust ~ Blog – http://togwt1980.blogspot.com

Comment

Magnesium chloride (MgCl2) is the name for the chemical compounds and its various hydrates MgCl2 (H2O) x. These salts are typical ionic halides, being highly soluble in water. Melts ice faster than sodium chloride. Lowest practical temp: 5. °F (15°.C) attracts moisture

Magnesium chloride is very effective even at the lowest temperatures but also contains the most aggressive corrosives (especially on glass surfaces) and a sprayed brine solution, it is used to prevent snow / ice adhesion to the road surface. A number of state highway departments throughout the United States have decreased the use of rock salt and sand on roadways and have increased the use of solutions of magnesium chloride (often called "liquid magnesium chloride") as a de-icer. Magnesium chloride is much less toxic to plant life surrounding highways and airports, and is less corrosive to concrete and steel (and other iron alloys) than sodium chloride.

Anti-icing liquids, which according to State authorities, the liquid solution consists of - Magnesium chloride (MgCl2) Calcium chloride (CaCl2) and other liquids that work like anti-freeze, by lowering the freezing temperature of water and preventing ice from forming a strong bond to the road

Some areas have made inventive alterations to basic rock salt: many civil engineers have long added sugar beet molasses to their road salt to make sure it stays where it’s supposed to, the stickiness of the molasses keeps the salt on roads longer, saving money by reducing the number of times each town has to salt. The mixture is also supposed to be less corrosive than the plain rock salt that is normally used, and it reduces the environmentally damaging concentration of salt on the road (too much salt makes for briny groundwater, which can end up dehydrating plants and killing aquatic life).
                  ~ Providing unbiased advice that Professional and Enthusiast Detailer’s Trust ~ Blog – http://togwt1980.blogspot.com

Comment

And sometimes when there's a shortage of road salt, they use garlic salt.

Salt, beets and garlic, car finish soap.

"fishing for swirls in a sea of black"
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    David

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Dragon View Post
                      Actually it's a state thing. Colorado DOT uses this stuff on state roads & the interstate. Really wrecks everything that moves.

Well, considering I spend nearly 50 hours a week working state roads in Southern Colorado, I do believe I know what I'm talking about. CDOT doesn't use mag chloride down here. Like I said, must be a city thing.

Colin
                      A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Comment

Another member for my ignore list.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');