• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

95 m3 is frustrating me..help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 95 m3 is frustrating me..help?

95 avus blue m3, car has been under the california and florida sun for years. The drivers door is the worst area and the hardest to correct. The swirls are so bad that the clear looks almost grey or silver (not oxidation like you would suspect). Ive got a PCXP, ive tried m105, UC, swirlX, on yellow, orange, and green pads at speeds 5-6. Ive been keeping the PC moving about an inch per second, i have the backing plate marked to track rotation speeds, ive been using different amounts of pressure, etc. While i have made some progress, I just spent 2hrs on one small 16"x16" section and its still no where near what we should all expect. Ive also been messing with the KBM ive read so much about.

Ideas?...lol...

Re: 95 m3 is frustrating me..help?

Clear coat failure? I had an audi at some point that looked like what you are describing. It seemed like it was "cracked" form the inside. No matter what I did - the scratches where always there.

Comment

None of the pads have paint on them, it definately doesnt look like clear failure, id take pics but im out of light for tonight.

Comment

Most of it looks like this (lighting could be better)

ive got some spots cleaned up like this

Comment

As i sit here (hours later) and brainstorm why im having issues, a question comes to mind.. The top of the door panel is about 5" and its not flat. Could running the 5.5" pad over this non flat surface dry the pad out? Perhaps ADDING to my swirls?

Comment

Hi there,

After reading your thread you seem to be following the correct process of swirl removal.

I would suggest applying as much pressure as possible to stop it rotating and back off so its spinning very slowly. Also make sure the pad does not dry out.

Failing that wet sand with unit grit 3000. I would suggest checking paint depths prior to any wet sanding.

Hth's

Rappy.

Comment

its almost the weekend again, picking up some halogens today so i can work late (no garage fml). If i can get the drivers door area to look almost new as the surrounding panels do Ill be ecstatic. But im not expecting it. Ill post pics saturday evening.

Comment

welp, another 3hrs of m105, UC, and swirlX, each with various LC pads. While the door is improved, its not as clear as the rest of the car. I dont know weather to just keep at it, more and more passes, get a wool pad?, or accept the limitations of a DA and my limited experience...FML

Im going to wash it tonight and give her more effort as i got some halogens today. Pics to come then.

Comment

If the swirls are gone and it looks cloudy as my car did I had to use Ultimate Polishing compound and worked it slowly and it did the job. No more cloudiness just nice and shiny.
                  My 2 cents

Comment

not cloudy any more, i have many deep swirls. Ive got some improvement and some areas are near perfect, but at this rate i may spend all weekend and use all the product i have just to get one door corrected.

Comment

how bad is it that i just hand polished my wheels and felt like it was simple in comparison to that damn door

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');