• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

holograms (Mike, I need your help!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• holograms (Mike, I need your help!)

Mike, I need your help!
    This is my first post, but I have been reading many threads for a while. My problem is holograms alonside my truck. I had a body/paint shop fix a deep scratch, and when I finally looked at the fix, there are holograms. What I'm also bummed about is the fact that they seemed to have detailed the whole truck, and now I have holograms all over (not only where they fixed). My truck is black, and the owner told me that no matter what there will be some swirls (I can live with that), but the holograms look terrible! I was just wondering if the shop will be able to remove all of the holograms and not just "cover them up". This is a brand new truck (four months old), so I'm not sure if it factors into the equation. Please let me know what I should expect, or what I should have them do! All of your replies will be greatly appriciated!

aloha, Derrick
    Last edited by grpape; Feb 27, 2005, 12:10 PM.

I have delt with complimentary dealer instilled swirls. These occur when they use a wool pad on a rotary buffer with likely far too aggressive of a compound and don't bother to take the time to go back over and fix it. Unfortunately the only way to remove holograms is with a rotary buffer with foam pads, the proper product and someone who knows what they're doing.

Take for example this Mitsubishi I fixed some time ago:

The whole car looked like this, and I have to say this is one of the worser jobs I've seen. It took using 83 on a foam polishing pad at about 1400 rpm and a couple of passes to level this out to the end result.

So you could go back and ask if they can fix it, but the problem is if they don't know any better they might just take the wool pad back to your new truck and remove unnecessary clear coat. Unfortunately with these dealership situations unless they have an outside detailer comming in for this type of stuff generally you don't see good results. Your honestly probably better off finding someone else that knows what they're doing to fix it, but of course then again I know you hadn't intended on them inflicting this problem in the first place.
    Later,
    Ricky

For great Meguiar's deals I use
    Auto Detailing Solutions

Comment

Thanks Ricky,
      I agree with you totally, however, this was a paint/body shop through my insurance. I/someone put the scratch in my truck. I had the insurance cover it through one of their listed shops. So, they are supposed to be pros. I did have to take it back four times, because they could not get the exact color. So, maybe, they just did a fast job (because they refunded me my part of the payment). However, I think they painted the truck again (after they gave me back money), because my insurance co. was informed of the job. By looking at your work, I am confident that they can remove the holograms. I was just concerned that they would do something to cover it up, and the holograms would just return after washing the truck. It's a brand new truck that did not have any holograms before I took it to them.

p.s. the first three times I got the truck back, there were some swirls, but no holograms.

aloha, Derrick

Comment

I would be very specific with them. Talk to them like you know exactly what you are talking about. Tell them that a wool pad without a follow up foam pad and lighter polish is sometihng hacks to.

Then ask them to remove the holograms using a foam pad and a swirl removal product.

If they refuse, call your ins. company and tell them you would like to file a claim agaisnt the shop who did your work.

Thing to remember is this is just business to them, so be professional. Getting pissed and acting out doent effect them, money does.

Comment

Thanks JeffM,
          They were cool about trying to get the color right (having to paint it four times!). I'm pretty sure this costed them more than the insurance co. paid them. I also think that they are willing to correct their mistakes, because they are one of the shops on the insurance co.'s list. They also know that I will keep comming back till everything is perfect. I just want this to be over, and I'm pretty sure they feel the same.

aloha, Derrick
          Last edited by grpape; Feb 27, 2005, 07:02 PM.

Comment

i suggest u stop sending it back to those guys, they just gonna make it worst. go find a good detailer in ur area to have it fixed up

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');