• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about PC, orbital buffer, etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about PC, orbital buffer, etc.

Hey folks, my birthday is coming up in about a month...for it, I'm asking my family for car care tools which are slightly out of my current budget.

I want to get some sort of tool to help me remove swirls, apply wax, and buff.
    Which tool is best for this?
    Which tool can do this and costs less?
    Which tools are a complete waste of my time and money?

Thanks! My car will be happy...the swirls will not!
    "Son, crying in your milk is bad enough; crying in your hot fudge sundae is just disgusting."
    R.A. Heinlein

well.... the best investment that I have made is my PC, I have the Porter Cable 7424 and the DA Velcro Buffing System from meguiars.

There are three of the same machine.... Meguiars G-100. This machine is rady to go out of the box with a lifetime warrenty from meguiars.

There is the Porter-Cable 7424 (Amazon.com carries this for around $130) and the Porter-Cable 7336 (Lowes carries this for around $100) you will then need to get the DA Velcro Buffing System from meguiars to make the machine work with the meguiars pads.

All are the same machine made by the same manufacture just sold under different models. The Meguiars G100 has a lifetime warrenty where the other 2 do not.

Porter-cable version:

Meguiars Version:
    Last edited by gb387; Feb 28, 2005, 10:52 AM.
    Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
    Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

I read on the Lowes website that the 7336 has an OPM range of 2,500 to 6,000. Would the minimum be too fast for something like M#80?
      "Son, crying in your milk is bad enough; crying in your hot fudge sundae is just disgusting."
      R.A. Heinlein

Comment

Originally posted by SingingSabre
        I read on the Lowe's website that the 7336 has an OPM range of 2,500 to 6,000. Would the minimum be too fast for something like M#80?
        No.

Forget about OPM's, (Oscillations Per Minute), and think in terms of Variable Speed Settings.

For removing swirls out of your car's finish you need to be around the 5.0 setting with a polishing pad and a product like the M80 Speed Glaze.

Look through any of the write-ups for the detailing classes here at Meguiar's in the Detail Days at Meguiar's forum and you will see success story after success story of people learning how to use the above combination to remove the swirls in their car's paint.

Here's the link,

Detail Days at Meguiar's

Mike
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I read on another thread here that the PC was on sale at Lowe's for $80! That's the lowest price I've ever seen. For the difference you can buy a lot of Meguair's polishing and finishing pads.

IMHO, the PC is mandatory for black vehicles.

RamAirV1
          2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
          2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

I'm sold! Thanks gb387, Mike, and RamAir!
            R.A. Heinlein

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');