• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Detailer Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detailer Question

I'm considering buying a craftsman buffer from sears but have a few questions before I do.

Can you apply products with a buffer?????
    Everything I've read is about removing wax.
    I want to use it to apply polish, meg DC 1 and 2, and wax, Megs Nxt wax. Is this possible??

If i can apply products with an orbital or rotary buffer, what pads should I use??

Re: Detailer Question

Originally posted by jpeek88
    I'm considering buying a craftsman buffer from sears but have a few questions before I do.

Can you apply products with a buffer?????
    Everything I've read is about removing wax.
    I want to use it to apply polish, meg DC 1 and 2, and wax, Megs NXT wax. Is this possible??

If i can apply products with an orbital or rotary buffer, what pads should I use??
    Hi jpeek88,

First, use the search feature by clicking on the link below and type in orbital buffer

This will pull up some threads with related information for you to read.

Search the forum

A traditional orbital buffer can be used to both apply and remove cleaners, polishes and waxes. It's biggest downfall is because of the typically larger bonnet sizes you cannot effectively polish small areas like the A-Pillars and as such you are limited to large flat panels.

If the one you are looking at is indeed a 10", 11", or 12" orbital polisher, remember that the large bonnets on large polishers like this will **** up a lot of your products.

These style of orbital polishers spin at a fixed speed that is fairly slow. Combine this with their large surface area of contact with the finish and they are not very effective at removing swirls.

In summary, if you're looking for a tool that will apply and remove products for you, you only require it to work on the large flat panels and you're not trying to remove below surface defects such as swirls and scratches then this tool will work fine for you.

Mike
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I have something similar; in my first experience with NXT tech wax, I got the terry cloth bonnet pretty dirty taking the wax off and probably didn't do my paint any favors by having the buffer on the car with a dirty bonnet. Could this be:

1. I'd just washed the car with Gold Class, but hadn't dried it, so I had some water spots I was hoping the wax would remove, won't make that mistake again?

2. Perhaps I put the NXT on too heavily (I did it by hand)?

I guess what I'm asking is how often one should need to change the bonnet when removing wax from an mid-size sedan ASSUMING that the surface was properly prepped and the wax properly applied?

Comment

Originally posted by ntaylor
        I guess what I'm asking is how often one should need to change the bonnet when removing wax from an mid-size sedan ASSUMING that the surface was properly prepped and the wax properly applied?
        Most bonnets are reversible, with a larger orbital buffer you should be able to remove all of the wax with one bonnet, reversing it if and when needed.

With the dual action polisher, because of the smaller size, you get away removing the wax with one bonnet easily by using both sides.

There are ways of cleaning the excess wax off the face of the bonnet while your buffing that will extend the amount of time you can use the bonnet.

Mike
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I would highly suggest purchasing a dual action, orbital polisher like the G-100 from Meguiars or the 7424 from Porter Cable. I would spend the extra $ for the Meguiars model since it has a lifetime warranty.

Mike is correct in that the orbital from Craftsmen is not too effecitive in areas other than your hood, roof, and other large areas.

To answer your question on bonnets. I would say that you shouldn't have to use more than one to remove the wax on the sedan, esp. with a large orbital(10",11"). I have the 7424 and I only use one MF bonnet for my entire Supercrew truck to remove NXT. (turned inside out half-way through)

Another point is that NXT Tech Wax is very hard to see on light vehicles. I know b/c my truck is silver. Remember to apply it in thin coats and don't get too nervous if you don't see it show up as heavily as other waxes. Apply thin, and you should never have to go through more than one bonnet with a mid-size sedan.

Hope this helps!

Comment

Since inexpensive polishers generally don't have removable pads you need to be careful not to let the pad get "wet" when applying products. Carryover of liquids from one step can compromise the effectiveness of the next, especially if that next step is removing products.

Application bonnets should be plastic lined to avoid wetting through to the pad (and aren't reversible). If you want to use unlined foam, terry or microfiber bonnets for applying product use a separate liner. I've seen bonnet liners sold commercially but I would think that a plastic bag or some Saran Wrap would work OK.

PC

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');