• US Flag waving in the background behind three Meguiar's spray products.  Meguiar's logo 4th of July Independence Day Sale.  15% Off Sitewide plus Free Shipping Over $99.  Shop Now, Use Code JULY4.  Expires 7/7/24, Valid Online Only, Excludes Discounted Kits.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

paint under stripes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• paint under stripes

I just had some stripes put on my car made out of avery a6 vinyl and I was wondering how bad the difference between the paint under them and the rest of the car will be if they start to come off 5-6 years from now? If it does look bad will I be able to buff it out? My car is garaged when its at home but it is a daily driver so it sees a lot of sun and in the winter I run it through a touchless car wash at least once a week so the stripes are going to a lot of water pressure on them.

Re: paint under stripes

Color of the paint may matter to some degree when it comes to fading. Any swirling or scratching should polish out.

I wondered the same thing about the medium dark blue paint on my truck when I was in an accident a couple of years ago. The left size of the bed needed bodywork and a repaint. Right side didn't need anything. I asked the bodyshop to remove the "Z71 4x4" sticker from the left side to see how much the paint underneath had faded. When they said there was no noticeable difference, I had them remove the right side sticker and not replace them as part of the repairs. At the time of the accident, I had owned the truck 4 years, 5 months and put 95,000 miles on it and it sat outside at least 50% of the time. A little over 2 years and another 53,000 miles later and there is no noticeable outline of the old sticker.

As a side note, OEM "Z71 4x4" on Chevy are pricey. I want to say the original estimate had them at $45 or $50 each.

Comment

Working...
    X
    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');